I have a 3 week old baby and can't seem to get her to burp! She passes gas all the time though! Would that take the place of burping? Is it possible that some babies just don't burp?

hollysmom77

Asked by hollysmom77 at 9:19 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not every baby burps all the time. It depends on how much air they've sucked in while eating.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:21 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• One of my kids arely burped. She was just fine and rarely spit up too. Just keep trying each time because your little one may still have a burp in their occasionally!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I agree, Is she spitting up often? If she is that could indicate that she did need to burp and the burp got stuck undeneath the milk and maybe you should try to burp her sooner, or longer. If you have no problems with spitting up than you don't have to worry about it :) but I don't think that gas takes the place of burping, but I could be wrong.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 9:24 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I read in a book somewhere that it just needs to come out of one end or the other.
    Anonymous

• It's always good to get a burp of ea oz or 2 she drinks, yes the passing gas can replace it but to avoid all the vomiting try to burp her. Trying rubbing her bck and kind of mssge her, it worked for me. Good Luck!
    Cici09

Answer by Cici09 at 10:37 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• My 1st son never burped, he also never spit-up. He was EBF, and I tried to burp him, but he never would. My new baby is a big burper, and stillhas gas. My only suggestion besides don't worry about it, is to switch positions, for example, skip over the shoulder, and try sitting them up in your lap, it might work better that way.
    Simonsmama

Answer by Simonsmama at 11:20 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• If she is passing gas by tooting then there isn't any need to force her to burp. As long as she is releasing the gas in some manner. If she isn't passing it at all through burps or toots then you have a problem. However, since she is passing it through toots you are fine.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:47 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• most of my babies did not need burping!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:36 AM on Dec. 31, 2009