For parents of only children...

Do you feel bad for people who have to juggle more than one kid?
Do you feel bad for only having one kid who won't have sibblings?
Do you want more kids?
Why did you decide to only have one or to stop at one?

Just some thoughts I was thinking...no judgement or anything, I just only have one son, 16 months, and I can't imagine washing kid dishes AND bottles! Lol and that started this wholllle thought process.

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 9:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• My daughter is 19 months. I was undecided on having more kids. Education and expenses play into it a lot. Also me and hubby havent argued this much ever. Lol But in the end I do want her to have a sibling. So when she starts pre school, I will probably have just ONE more. Do what works for you. There is no right or wrong.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 9:33 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• No, I really don't feel bad for those that chose to have more than one child. I still have to juggle things with just one child (I am a single parent though). I do not feel bad that my son has no siblings-he has cousins and friends that he hangs out with a lot. His cousin is only 13 months younger than him and they are close. I am not sure that I want anymore kids, I am 38 so the time is drawing near that I wouldn't want to have anymore. I really don't know why I stopped, maybe because I never found Mr. Right to have another child with. My son is 13 so,even if I had another one, it would be like having an only child again.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:34 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I only have one child because by the time i had my little one i was pushing near 35 and from 35 and older there's risks and i am not willing to take those risks for my unborn childs behalf and besides her father has two other child so she is not an only sibling but she is my one and only forever and she only sees her brother and sister 3x a year.
    Anonymous

• I have a 2 year old, and a 6 month old. I couldnt have just one....Everyone I know who is an only child has problems....lots of them.
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 9:43 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Do I feel bad for people who have to juggle more than one kid? No, because it was there choice to have them. For the longest time I did feel guilty about my son not having any siblings, but he does have cousins and several friends, so while it is not the same as having a brother or sister, it does help. I one time I did want another child but right now I do not want another child. We originally had just one child due to the fact that I was going to school at the time and we only had my husband's full time income and my very part-time income, but now that we both work full time, we have run into the issue of our son having problems in school and at home. He was diagnosed with ADHD and is in the process of being evaluated for Asperger's syndrome. Right now, having a baby would put too much stress in our lives- stress we really don't need at the moment.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:45 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• op-
    How do only children make friends?
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 9:45 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Play groups, child care, MOTS (mothers of tots)
    Anonymous

• How do only children make friends? Like any other child would, through playdates, preschool, organized classes such as art class, kindermusik, tumbling class, and as they get older then they can make friends from neighbors, school, team sports, etc.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:49 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• i have a 5 yr old...i do want more..i didnt have more bc things didnt work out with his dad and i decided i would wait..i got married though and me and dh are planning soon. It was hard when he was smaller (it seemed like i was his only friend)...but now that he is bigger its so much easier and he has lots of friends in prek. I do feel sorry for women that have kids close in age and cant handle them..i know some want it that way but a lot of women dont plan it. They dont seem to have the patience to deal with 2 being that small...i dont think i could
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:57 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• To Michellelee - I know LOTS of only children who are well more adjusted than their peers, more rounded, not selfish, more willing to share (toys, time with family, etc...) I even know many adults who are only children and they all are much more self reliant and not so dependent on other people. Are all of them this way? No, however I have seen and known both only children and people with siblings who grow up to be self reliant, well rounded, wonderful people. I believe a lot of it has to do with how they were raised.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 10:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2009