How do I get my 3 and a half year old to poop in the potty? He pees without a problem but pooping is different and I'm getting frustrated. :(

fyreball

Asked by fyreball at 9:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I tried lots of things and I mean LOTS but what work for us was I got a bin of toys that I did not let her have any other time. Plus I got a few books that had buttons that made noise (they were her fav charcters). The toys made her want to sit on the potty longer which was a start the longer she would sit there the better. I also got stickers because she is a sticker freak. After 2-3 months she would hold her poo until nap time so I took nap away for a while (rough but worth it,) She started going on the potty and now grabs her book and says go away I need to go potty. Hope something in here helps I think the key is using your childs favorite things to keep them happy. It really is frustrating just stick with it mama (((hugs)))
    Phiasmom0

Answer by Phiasmom0 at 10:16 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I have no answer for you, but just wanted to let you know you're not alone. My 3 1/2 yo ds will not poop on the potty. He's really good about peeing, but poops in his underwear everytime. He doesn't go at the same time everyday and doesn't always go everyday, so I'm not really sure what to do. Basically at this point I've given up trying to make him do it. He knows what to do, he has done it before, so he knows, but at this point I'm just waiting for him to decide to do it. And until then I'm scrubbing poop out of underwear :(
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:33 PM on Dec. 30, 2009