Can you get pregnant even if you got your tubes tied?

Well after my 4th child I had gotten my tubes tied. That was about 6 mths ago. Well my marriage hasn't been the best and still isn't. I am worried that it may not last. AND if it doesn't and I find someone else, i'm afraid it may ruin things seeing how i cannot have kids...is there a chance i still could get pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Nothing is 100%, including a tubal ligation. I had a couple that I had to inform they were pregnant where she'd had a tubal, and he'd had a vasectomy! Nature finds a way sometimes.
    That said, a tubal is approximately 99% effective (assuming they cut, clamp and cauterize), so don't count on getting pregnant. If things don't work out, yes, it may limit your dating options, but the right person will be fine with it.
    Good luck; I hope you guys are able to work things through (maybe try counseling?).
    Side note- we all have tough times, and I'm not anti-divorce, but my hubby and I have really improved things by making time to focus on each other. It's easy to get caught in the day to day slugging through thing, just trying to manage getting the kids through the day alive. Once our son is in bed, we spend some time (even just 15 minutes) with no TV, computers, etc, and snuggle up on the couch and talk. It's made a HUGE difference!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:44 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• There is always a chance but most of the time it leads to a tubal pregnancy.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:44 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• is there any way to reverse the surgery?
    Anonymous

• Yes, it's only about 20-70% effective, depending on the circumstances surrounding it. They have to go in, cut out the cauterized and clamped section, and reconnect the tubes. If there is a lot of scar tissue, they have to get that out, if they can. The longer it's been, the lower the success rate.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:55 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Thanks so much ladies
    Anonymous

• They told me because of my age (27) my chances of getting pregnant after my tubal were 20% but with in that 20% there was only a 20% chance the pregnancy would be viable. Tubal pregnancy is more of a risk than actually giving birth to another child. I know it can happen but I have never ever met anyone personally.

If you wanted to get PG in-vitro is still an option. Your eggs and uterus are still there.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:17 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• This is taken from WebMD

Tubal ligation

* There is a slight risk of becoming pregnant after tubal ligation. This happens to about 5 per 1,000 women after 1 year. After a total of 10 years following tubal ligation, about 18 per 1,000 women will have become pregnant. 2
    * Pregnancy may occur if:
    o The tubes grow back together or a new passage forms (recanalization) that allows an egg to be fertilized by sperm. Your health professional can discuss which method of ligation is more effective for preventing tubes from growing back together.
    o The surgery was not done correctly.
    o You were pregnant at the time of surgery.
    Lissachck

Answer by Lissachck at 10:22 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• yes, talk with your doctor about your personal chances, because every body is diffrent some heal faster then others! i have a friend that had that done and is now prego so call the doc and if your body is not healing fast maybe try talking about reversing it, anything can happen keep your mind oopen and if you can't have any of the above there are alot of needing children that would love a mother
    giniweed

Answer by giniweed at 2:30 AM on Dec. 31, 2009