Can itching/scratching really increase the stretch marks?

My boobs and my tummy itch, boobs more though. I was told that it increases the chance of stretch marks. I'm already prepping by applying tummy butter on my tummy and haven't gotten any yet..6 months. Yeah I've a ways to go. Should I also apply cocoa butter/tummy cream on my boobs too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I never heard that. My itching was a result of the stretch marks. I tried putting cream on to prevent them, for my first pregnancy. it didn't work one bit. I didn't even bother with my second.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:50 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• YES!
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 9:51 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• WHEN I WAS PREGNANT WITH MY FIRST CHILD MY TUMMY ITCHED ALL THE TIME AND I SCRATCHED ONLY A FEW TIME AND I STILL GOT STRETCH MARKS BUT I THINK IT HAS TO DO WITH THE WAY YOUR BODY IS
    motherofthre166

Answer by motherofthre166 at 10:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• It doesn't increase the stretch marks themselves. It irritates the skin and does cause scarring from you scratching your skin though.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:37 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• if the things you are using aren't working, then just stop wasting your money, look for bag balm! i was 95 lb. when i got perg and by the due date i was 185 i blew out fast so i got alot of marks nothing worked, i still have marks my second didn't help that much but to answer i would say yes only because you are tearing the skin and i still after three years scratch, and i have little ones but they itch so so bad, they are almost all gone, i have little tiny things that look like bug bite from scratching so stop and try something worth your money and effort. with the bag balm i use bio-oil it's like 12 bucks a bottle but works! good luck and congarts on the baby to come!!
    giniweed

Answer by giniweed at 2:25 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• If you break the skin with your scratching, then the skin is weakened, leaving it more apt to "break apart" in that area. I wouldn't risk it.

I had two back to back pregnancies - I used Palmer's Cocoa Butter lotion every day and I got NO stretch marks. When I had an itch, I tried to use a soft cloth to scratch it - I applied the Palmer's lotion, then would scratch it with a dry cloth diaper. Sounds crazy, but all my friends who did not use Palmer's or Cocoa Butter of any kind all have stretch marks - those of us who did, have none.

BTW, I got HUGE with my pregnancies, so there was a LOT of skin stretching going on.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 3:19 AM on Dec. 31, 2009