How do you remove acrylic nails?

I got my nails done a few weeks ago for my daughter's wedding. Now I want to remove them, but I don't want to pay to have the nail salon take them off. I've heard y0u can soak them in acetone... Do you have to condition your nails with anything after removing the fake nails?

PSMother

Asked by PSMother at 9:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Well if you do take them off the nail bed is going to be weak from the adhesive, so you can try to moisturize the bed. However your best bet is to wait until the nail bed repairs it self naturally. Acetone and soak, soak, soak. then try to pry them up with an orange wood stick. Try to get the acetone under the artificial nail. The more you soak the better. Good luck.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:56 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Acetone nail polish remover. It's usually about a dollar or so and the dollar store. Just soak for a few minutes and rub off with a cotton ball or old towel. They come off very easy!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:00 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Get straight acetone and soak your fingers in it. Wait about 5 minutes and try to gently, work the nail away from your finger bed. That is what the girl that does my nails suggested. Then file done your nails and put on a top coat to help your own nails grow and gain strength--they will be very weak.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:04 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I've found it's just better to bite the bullet and go to the nail salon. The nail salon here only charges $5. I removed them myself before by soaking them in remover and still had sensitivity in my fingernails for a couple of weeks.
    crazypianochick

Answer by crazypianochick at 10:07 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I second crazypianochick's answer! But if you absolutely do not want to go get them taken off, then soak in acetone and pry them off. You may have sensitivity for a while after and your nails will be weak for some time regardless of whether you have them taken off or if you do them, in my experience.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 10:22 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• GO TO THE SALON!!!!!! I was dumb and did the acetone thing about 6 months ago and my nails are STILL trying to get back to normal..
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 3:33 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Go to the salon. Acetone destroys your nail bed. GL I hate dealing with nails. I have wasted so much money and have yet to see them last longer than one week whether uv gel, acrylic or 100 fancy designs. they always come off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• acetone is what they will use at the salon...you soak, and soak, and soak. DO NOT PRY THEM OFF! you will end up tearing the top-layer (or more) of your nail..this is what leaves you with the sensitive, hurting feeling. while soaking, periodically, take them out, wipe the gooey product off with a paper-towel, and lightly file or buff away the weakened acrylic. soak some more, and some more. if you take your time doing this, your nail bed will be fine.
    acetone is very cheap at the beauty supply or even walmart/drugstore. use a glass or ceramic bowl-not plastic! to soak in. be careful to not drip on painted or lacquered surfaces; acetone is strong, and will mar the finished. it is cold to the touch, and if you have any abrasions or cuts, it will sting. you will need to remoisturize your nails for several days afterward, and if you choose to, you can repolish, but i'd recommend a ridge-filling basecoat, or Rejuvenail.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:27 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I have an easy way to take them off. Get some acetone from the drug store. soak 10 cotton balls in the acetone. wrap each finger in foil with a acetone soaked cottonball on top of the acrylic. Leave on 1/2 to an hour. You might have to repeat this on a couple of the nails.
    This will soften the acrylic enough that they will peel off without damaging the nails further.
    After the nails are off. Wash your hands and apply Sally's Hard as Nails.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 11:47 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I went to school for cosmetology and you have to use acetone to get them off. Like thehairnazi said, don't pry them off, I'm assuming she's a licensed cosmo also. Using soaked cotton balls and wrapping in foil does actually work and makes it so you can at least move around while you're waiting. It take a while to get them off, but I would only scrap them off layer by layer very gently with an orangewood stick or buff them. I am always doing my nails and removing them often for a different color for my tips and my nails are never damaged or painful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:24 AM on Jan. 2, 2010