Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Amending the Original Birth Certificate?

I have been putting together a memory book for my daughter who was given up for adoption. I am going to order her original birth certificate here shortly and was hoping to have it amended to relfect the name I was going to give her. My state allows pre birth relinquishment papers to be signed, so I was given nothing to fill out for her OBC. I want her to know that she did indeed have a name before she was given up. Can I have vital records amend it to the name she was going to have instead of Infant Girl?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Adoption

Answers (9)
  • Your best bet is to call and ask vital records.

    Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:00 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

  • Check with your some states you can indeed have the birth certificate amended but not all.

    Answer by lmearley at 10:18 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

  • I have never heard of this in my life. Most states that I have researched have an original birth cert with the birth name and then the amended BC shows the adopted name. I chose to give my birth child one name so I let his AP's pick his name and that is his birth name, with their last name and all

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

  • It's not uncommon, Anon. A lot of states are now allowing women to sign away their children even before birth and then vital records just issues a generic original calling the child Infant boy/girl *surname* and then lists the biological parents. The states are allowing this because many of them want adoptions to go thru as fast as possible with little interference from the birthparents if they decide that adoption was the wrong choice. My state has it as well and you only get 48 hours after birth to change your mind. My daughter was born on a Saturday and by Monday, Tuesday she was legally someone else's child. I filled out nothing in the hospital. I just signed a handwritten note giving the adoptive parents permission to grant permission for any medical treatment. They needed nothing from me since she was signed away at 7 months gestation.

    Answer by randi1978 at 1:00 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

  • I think you need to order the obc before the adoption is finalized. That's what I did.

    Answer by onethentwins at 2:14 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

  • I'm lost - did YOU give the child up for adoption? or are you the adoptive mother?

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

  • IF there is anything you can do, you better do it really quickly because the Aparents are likely filing for the official BC they will use for the child.

    I also did not think it was legal to sign custody away untl after the child was born, doesnt every state have some kind of waiting period?

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:34 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

  • PP is probably right - the adoptive parents are probably working on getting the amended birth certificate because that has to be done before a social security number can be issued. If they don't have the SS# by the time they do their Federal tax return, they will have to use an ATIN (a temporary number), then amend both Federal and State later when they have the SS#. I don't know what your window of opportunity is in your state, but I agree that you'd better do it ASAP.

    Answer by Iamgr8teful at 7:14 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

  • In most states, a birth mom cannot order a copy of the birth certificate AFTER the adoption. There are a few exceptions. However, I cannot imagine that ANY state would alter an OBC to include what a birth mom wants it to say. In fact, I would be amazed/shocked if they would do so.

    Answer by Southernroots at 1:16 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.