How do you tell if it's deductible?

My husband's employer has been taking about $600/month out of his paycheck for our health insurance. My tax guy said something about it being deductible (or not) depending on whether they take taxes out before or after taking out the money. How do I tell? I'll sure be upset if it's NOT deductible!

PSMother

Asked by PSMother at 10:05 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

• Usually - and I stress usually - insurance premiums paid through payroll deductions are not tax deductible because the premiums are deducted from the pre-tax wages. You will need to find out from his employer if his premiums are deducted pre-tax or post-tax. If pre-tax then no tax deduction, if post-tax then you MAY be able to deduct some, but probably not all, of the premium on your tax return. You need to talk more with a tax professional to get an absolute answer to your question.

Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 10:19 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• You can tell by looking at the check stub. It is either being taken out of pretax dollars or post tax dollars.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:27 PM on Dec. 31, 2009