How much whole milk should my son drink?

My son will be 1 saturday and the dr has given the okay to go ahead and put him on whole milk at 11 months. My question is, how much milk should he be drinking a day? He just switched to a sippy cup three days ago so I don't want over do it. Are there signs he is getting to much besides constipation?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 10:14 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have a sample menu for 1 year olds and it recommends 1/2 cup of whole milk at breakfast, lunch and dinner and for 2 snack times.
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 10:27 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I'd guess as much as he normally drinks of formula in a day (if you formula fed that is) My oldest was drinking three 8oz glasses of milk daily when he switched and I expect the current baby to do it about the same. I would suggest making it a gradual switch though so that you don't overwhelm his system with it all at once. I know that many babies switch cold turkey and are fine but if yours happens to have a sensitivity to it then it would be miserable to switch him all at once. Just see how he handles it and if he does get consitpated then either cut back or maybe dilute it some.
    Krys.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 10:39 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I know some people may differ, but I wouldn't give him any. Cow's milk is made for animals and can lead to allergies. Kids who have dairy early have more ear infections. Dairy increases mucus production, which is a breeding ground for bacteria--bacteria you don't want in your precious baby!
    Anonymous

• My son's Pedi and WIC both told me no more then 36 oz's a day.

As far as anon 9:52 goes.. EVERYTHING can lead to allergies. Peanuts, strawberries, anything can lead to an allergy. Stopping one product due to the possibility is silly.

Anyway. I wouldn't go over 36 oz's. Which is 3 8oz bottles a day if you break it down.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:18 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• i don't give my family cows milk, soy milk or almond milk. It is not natural, or healthy to drink the milk from another species.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:33 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• None (unless he is a baby cow). Humans don't need cow milk. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 1:25 PM on Dec. 31, 2009