STOP YELLING!!

I have a confession, I am a yeller or very loud toned voice to my son who is 5. I really, really, really try to not do it, but there are times alot lately that my son will not listen to me. Now when he yells i tell him, to stop yelling, Well!! who am i to talk, I need help, i really do though he is my buddy and i am scheduled to take parenting classes the end of january. Anyways if anyone has any advice (kind). Please help.

Vmahoney

Asked by Vmahoney at 10:25 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• omg are u in my house?? im the same way dealing with samething.. theres alot of I SAID NO..or WHAT DID I JUST SAY. and at the end of the day i sit here and think i need to stop yelling seems like thats all i do, my head hurts. and i say to myself tomorrows a new day..well next day that lasts about 20 mins. i think i have to train myself not to yell just like i trained myself not to bite my nails.. if i could stop that then i can stop yelling also. but it will take time and patince and sooner or later it will work.. it has to. so your not alone. u already took a step.. parenting classes.. so good for u. did they cost anything? i would like something like that.. anyways just remember to breath and count.. best of luck mama age 5 is a tough age..kids want to control and see how far they can strech the limits. and they know what buttons to push..stay strong. xo
    Anonymous

• I'm not a yeller, and I HATE hearing moms yell at their kids in public (or anywhere), but I'm glad you moms want to stop doing it! Good luck!!!!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:45 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• It's really hard to stop yelling. I've been working on it for a few years. When I notice myself yelling. I stop talking all together, take a deep breath, and then talk in as normal of a voice as I can. Let me just say, the kids listen so much better after I do that.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:56 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Practice whispering. I teach 2nd grade this year and a wise older teacher gave me this tip. The kids are so used to beign yealled out the getting close to the with a firm quiet voice works better than yelling!
    Simonsmama

Answer by Simonsmama at 11:25 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I yell too...I am a calm person but with 3 kids sometimes its hard to be heard. I have devised other methods to limit yelling which have helped but to not yell completely not sure about that one! LOL I also try to do things ahead such as when we need to go somehwere so we aren't rush. i am a mess under time pressure! Kids just naturally can not move fast! LOL
    Anonymous

• High Five Momma :). I think that many of us have been where you are. You are taking positive steps and I wish you the best of luck!
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 5:24 PM on Jan. 1, 2010