Should I start my 12 year old on birth control?

A girl in her class is Pregnant so maybe she should be on birth control now. I know I can't stop her from having sex if she wants to so should I go ahead and protect her from pregnancy. before she starts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• Please don't take your child through that drama due to another child's activities. My mother decided one day that it was impossible for me to be turning 17 and still a virgin so she drug me down to her GYN. Of course all of my friends who were on the pill volunteered info about how cold the room would be and how bad the clamp would hurt. By the time the doctor walked into the office I was almost in hysterics. She took one look at me asked me if I were active and then told me to get dressed. Know your daughter, talk to her and seriously - you can keep her from having sex.

Take the time to explain to her what sex is all about and be honest. Tell her why the girl got pregnant and tell her to watch what the little boy who got her pregnant does. My mother sat me down at about 12 with a book and told me all about the inner workings, what boys say and what they want - I knew the lines before the boys could even get them out.
    1st_LadyD

Answer by 1st_LadyD at 10:46 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I think maybe your jumping the gun on that one. Maybe try talking with her first.
    Anonymous

• talk first, and then decide
    I think 12 is kinda young, but then again my son is only 6 and I'm still in a bit of denial that kids are doing things earlyer..lol
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:39 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I agree with 1st_LadyD

Just because of 1 girl doesn't mean your dd is having sex too. You can reduce the risk of her having sex.... she's 12 for goodness sake. Having an open relationship, trust, and talking will go a long way. MY BFF in high school was very sexually active at a very young age, but that didn't allow me the right to do that... I was 21 before I had sex teh first time. So don't allow 1 incident to make you determine things about your dd that may not be true. Do be foolish either, but if you keep close tabs, talk, the chance of her having sex will be less.

If you find out she IS having sex, IDK.... I think that if you put her on BC, she could consider it a "permission slip". So it would definitely depend on the maturity level of your dd.

Talk to her!!!!
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 10:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• My almost 7 yr old grand daughter informed me a few weeks ago "I will need a bra soon. Riley and Elana already weart one" I had to pick my jaw up offf the floor. If you think she needs birth control you need to have a serious discussion...then rent a video about a REAL childbirth. She needs to know BC is fail-safe. 99% is the best they can do. Let her know it isn't carte blanche to sexually active..whenever you chooose to do it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:09 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• *isn't
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:11 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Maybe you should talk to her and build her self esteem instead of comparing her to someone else. Maybe the other girl was raped. Don't base your daughter's life on that of others.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:11 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I would have a talk with her first and find out if she has been or is thinking of becoming sexualy active. I would not jump the gun and automaticaly assume that she is.
    kendra1417

Answer by kendra1417 at 11:16 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• 12 does seem young but having said that, I started at 15 having sex. My Mom put me on the pill and it was really smart of her. I've always been responsible about bc and never had an accident but I credit my parents for taking control of my teenage antics.
    Anonymous

• 12 is not young to be having sex Anon 22. A girl in 7th grade class was pregnant, my sister lost her virginity at 12years, and dont get me started on all the other girls at 12 who have sex. I do think people having sex at 12 yrs is way to young to be having sex but it does happen.

Talk to your daughter first!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:36 PM on Dec. 30, 2009