Income Tax Question

My fiance and I bother had jobs for most of the year. I made a lot less than him though. Who will get more money for claiming our daughter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

• Are you asking to say that one wouldn't claim her and one would?
    You both should claim her since you're both legally her parents. As long as you both have custody of her. Which by calling him your Fiance' I take it that you both do.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:07 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• You can't both claim her unless you file one return. Technically it depends on who provides the most "support". But you are obviously not going to be contested by your fiance! :) I'd recommend getting to returns, filling them out and seeing who gets the best tax benefit. Keep in mind, for him to claim her, she must have lived with him *all year*.
    Anonymous

• Call the IRS 1-800-829-1040 - Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

Answer by rkoloms at 1:21 PM on Dec. 31, 2009