Lazy Eye 16 month old

My 16 month old has a lazy eye and his pedi is sending us to a specialist but I'm not sure what they can or will want to do for it at this age.. Have any other moms dealt with this and if so what did they do for your LO

TristansMommy16

Asked by TristansMommy16 at 10:46 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They will check to make sure it's not his vision. Majority of the time the eye is drifting because of a vision problem. They will be able to tell you. He may need just glasses, he may need glasses and a eye patch. In the most extreme cases where it's not a vision problem but a muscle problem, they may have to do surgery. Even though it wasn't suggested, i bought my son an eye patch to cover his good eye. That did help tremendously.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:56 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Depends on the problem. If my Mother had taken me to the eye doctor when my problems were first noticed they could have done a surgery and got 100% correction. She didn't address it until the school said something when I was in kindergarten. I lost sight in that eye due to lack of intervention. Sometimes they do surgeries, lots of times they have exercises for you to do with them, patching one lens on glasses to strengthen muscles. Be proactive. The younger he recieves help the better it will be for him.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:18 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• My daughter has strabismus and amblyopia.,..I first noticed something wasn't right when she was just under a year old. One eye appeared smaller than the other, especially when tired. We took her to a pediatric opthamologist who said it was a droopy eyelid;. Fastforward nearly 3 years and I thought she outgrew it, but one day noticed that same "droopy" eye was turning in when she was looking down, reading, etc. Turns out she is very farshighted and has that lazy eye to boot...so she wears glasses, patches, and also wears bifocals now. She is 5. Your son will most likely wear glasses and patch the good eye. Some opth do surgery but it depends on the severity. Catching it early is great thing!
    campeno

Answer by campeno at 12:27 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• My friend's daughter had a lazy eye - they put an eye patch over the "good" eye so the "weak" eye would be forced to compensate for the covered eye, hence strengthening the muscles in the "weak" eye and correcting the issue. If you look at my friend's daugther closely enough you can see the difference, but it's hardly noticeable.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 3:01 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• My 5 year old was just diagnosed two months ago. Her right eye turns in slightly. The eye doctor was able to determine that she's far sighted and the vision in her right eye is worse than it is in the left. She now wears glasses all the time - expect when she's at gymnastics or sleeping. We patch her good eye for 2 hours a day. I have noticed that when she has her glasses off first thing in the morning or when we first take them off at night/at gymnastics, that her right eye turns in more pronounced that it ever did prior to treatment. That said, I think her eye has benefited greatly from her glasses. WE go back in February to see if the treatment is working as the doctor wants or if we have to pursue other options.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:41 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• HELLO ALL! MY DAUGHTER WAS 12 MONTHS OLD WHEN SHE WAS DIAGNOSED WITH A LAZY EYE, I WENT TO SPECIALIST AND SUCH AND THEY GAVE ME A PERSCRIPTION FOR HER FIRST PAIR OF GLASSES. THE GLASSES HELP WITH THE MUSCLE BEING WEAK. MY NEICE ALSO HAS A LAZY EYE BUT HERS IS VERY BAD AND SO THEY GAVE HER GLASSES AND A PATCH TO WEAR OVER HER GOOD EYE TO HELP THE MUSCLES IN HER LAZY EYE. BABIES AS YOUNG AS 3-4 MONTHS CAN WEAR GLASSES AND SUCH. SO MORE THEN LIKLEY THEY WILL GIVE HER GLASSES AND OR A PATCH. GOOD LUCK
    IloveMyHailey

Answer by IloveMyHailey at 12:30 PM on Jan. 2, 2010