• In the Spotlight:

My baby is 3 weeks today and I think he may be constipated what can I do to help him?

jessjex

Asked by jessjex at 10:46 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you breastfeed or formula feed? If you formula feed it may have iron in it and that can constipate your baby. Try the iron free kind, that might help. You should also call your baby's pediatrician to make sure everything's okay.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:52 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• It depends, if you are breast feeding then feed him a little extra if he'll take it, its a laxative. Call your physicians office, talk to the nurse since your baby is so young.

Remember though he isn't constipated because he hasn't gone - if he's making faces and grunting and can't go there may be an issue.

My mom was full of remedies like a little prune juice diluted with water or a little water but ask your doctor

Mylicon drops worked very well for my son although he only really had tummy trouble when I gave him formula. If you are formula feeding try changing from the milk based, my son is still Lactose intolerant and he just turned 2.
    1st_LadyD

Answer by 1st_LadyD at 10:54 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• If you are bottle feeding, try adding a tspoon of prune juice to the bottle (about a 4-6 oz bottle, ya don't wanna over do it, just kinda jumpstart things). My daughter had the same problem, we ended up having to give her a baby enema, they sale them at Walmart over the counter (ask the pharmacist), just make sure that they are used properly and gently. We laid her on her side on the floor on top of an open diaper or towel, we only used about 1/2 a dose at a time because we didn't want to over do it. It helped out alot. Also the Mylicon drops help before constipation sets in. Good luck, and I hope you can find baby some relief.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Symptoms and diet please.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:42 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• It is not unusual for a breastfed baby to go more than a week without a bowel movement.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:21 PM on Dec. 31, 2009