I need some help my son is 12 and was diagnosed with ADD today and the pediatrician wants him to take Metadate?

I don't feel comfortable with giving him this medication does anyone have anyone info? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

tree1997

Asked by tree1997 at 10:51 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Health

• I am 100% against medications for children. There are other ways to help ADD/ADHD children besides medicating them. Diet/lifestyle change, therapy etc are all good choices.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• my son is 6 and on med and i can promise you that he would be in big trouble at sschool if he were
    i was diagnosed at age 15 and finally got on meds in 10th grade, i went from failing everything to graduating on time, it was a real life saver for me
    I never want my son to have the experiences I had in school which is why I am doing my best to be his advocate and nip it in the butt early
    i know its hard
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:54 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• and no diet ect doenst work for everyone add / adhd has to do with chemicals in the brain, it is not a choice or something they can help
    until you have been the 1 sitting at the table for 3 hours with a blank homework paper infront of you crying frusterated that you cant get anything done you can not understand how it feels (personal experience)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:57 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• My little brother was diagnosed, I can't remember how old, maybe about the same age as your son. My mom tried to get him to take natural stuff, like choline, but he refused. My older brother also has ADD and choline works good for him. What I would recommend is finding a forum of moms of kids with ADD or ADHD. I know my mom got on those a lot and got good info. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:02 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Diet and lifestyle changes absolutely help children with ADD/ADHD. Certain foods affect ADD/ADHD children to the point they can't function. Medication should always be a last resort.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I found out when I was about 21 that I probably had some kind of ADHD at least according to the current standards; it made sense somewhat as far as my trouble concentrating. I never got in trouble in school because my parents wouldn't have it, that wasn't an option medicine or not.

I did talk to a doctor friend of my mothers who told me that a lot of the concentration and focusing problems I had could be taken care of with a few natural remedies such as grape seed extract in a capsule form along with a few other herbs that naturally sway your focus.

Do some research and see what is best for your family. All physicians aren't money hungry, monsters with no concern for your general health but some of them are only book educated so to speak, if they haven't sought knowledge on other cures and preventions they certainly weren't taught about it in med school and most of them will tell you this.
    1st_LadyD

Answer by 1st_LadyD at 11:05 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• proudmommy - how crayz! appitite has NTHING to do with add. Good for you for not going back to that doc.
    Honestly it IS overly diagnosed, but for those who REALLY have it meds can be a life saver. My son has NO self control with out his, and he tries to behave and gets upset with himself cuz of his loack of self/impulse control ect

Do your research, talk to other docs if you want. Most definatly get educated and don't be bullied in to doing something. But be open also to the fact that it MIGHT be best for him.

The meds are fast acting so you could allways give him the pill 1 day and see how it goes and if you don't like it dont do it. Just an idea.
    Again good luck. Sorry Im posting so much, this is a hot topic for me cuz of myslef and my son. Feel free to message me if you want. (I'm also a pediatric nurse)
    :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 11:10 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Thank you to everyone who is trying to help me with this. I did not give my son this medication and I am not going to until I have every single piece of knowledge I can find. I also want to try other avenues such as maybe another Doctor or therapist, I have also been googling ADD & ADHD & info on the medicines, but its really nice to have everyones thoughts here. I had my son tested when he was 7 but at that time they did not feel he needed any medication. Unfortunately now that he is older he seems to be having a harder time. Especially in school, and your not posting too much mommymeg, I appreciate everything and anything you tell me.
    tree1997

Answer by tree1997 at 11:20 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Here's a good place to start: http://www.healingwithnutrition.com/newsclips/archive/omega3add.html  This put me on the right track.  Supplementing with flax oil, flax seeds, and a supplement called Attend has changed our lives.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• diet changes do not help all children. adhd is a neurological disorder. something is misfiring in a person's brain. diet cant fix that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Dec. 31, 2009