Aspergers and SSI

I know I can get it for DS but should I? It would mean getting him extra therapy or the gas to get him to and from his Psychologist who is 40 min away. And I'm not kidding my self it would help pay bills. but that seems wrong. We could use some help with our bills that re behind but I dunno it feels like stealing. I mean he's quirky not helpless so I feel bad taking it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• My daughter has Asperger's , she is 22 and has been on SSI since she was 6 yrs old......if your child qaulifies, why not? it does help with the extra's and it isn't the same as PA.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:29 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I went in to apply when the medical bills got to be too much ( i also ended up having a raise in income during the process so i stopped the paperwork) What i was told when i went in is 1. why hadnt i applied sooner lol and 2. that my being home for my son was important and that the SSI would be helpful towards the extra cost like gas to doctors, co pays and meds, or anything else to keep my son healthy.

I dont see it as stealing if you have a legitimate problem, the only time it would be stealing is if you made up the whole thing to scam them out of money.

My son has aspergers and i now stay home because his anxiety litterally eased up when i stopped working, his therapist have said that for him, my being home even when he is in school somehow makes him feel safer. If getting SSI will help do it. I know i will if we need it. it does take 3-4 months to get i did learn that much first time around PM if you need details.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:06 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Depends on if you want your child labeled "disabled" or not. My child is also an aspie and I'd never even think about doing it to him. I also have never had him tested for it as I don't see the point. People have had aspergers before there was even a name for it. It's not a sickness or an illness.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:07 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• i have bipolar disorder among other "diagnoses" and have had the docs tell me consistently to apply for disability... i haven't and won't. I have a disorder but im not disabled, i am capable of working and supporting myself and my son. I don't want the label of being disabled, and the feeling that i can't do it on my own.

If you need it and feel comfortable making that decision for you son then do it, it is not stealing, it was made for this reason.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:17 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• How can asperger's be covered by SSI but my son's condition, which requires him to be tube fed and costs us thousands of dollars a year, NOT be covered?? I say if your son qualifies, go for it. I certainly understand how every little bit could help!
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 3:15 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• How can asperger's be covered by SSI

Because Aspergers is a form of autism and many children with aspergers meet the requirements. This link has info that may help you get benefits for your child, they have great detail on the autism portion so hopefully it will have something to help you also.

http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:02 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• If your child qualifies medically & your family qualifies financially, then you should go for it. SSI is there to help take some of the extra financial burden off the family so that they can have as "normal" a life as possible. With the SSI comes MA, too, so your medical bills may no longer be an issue b/c the MA will cover your copays & deductibles for your child and often covers what your regular insurance denies. On top of that you are getting a few extra dollars a month to purchase the extras your child typically wouldn't have gotten b/c of the extra medical bills you were always paying. SSI can be a way to "normalize" your family's life.

And, just so you know, a diagnosis of Asperger's does not automatically qualify a child for SSI. The child must be disabled enough to require significant supports beyond those of a typical child, which is why many kids w/medical issues often don't qualify.
    Anonymous

• He qualifies due to his inability to adjust. He has severe anxiety and hence very hindered in social development. we are just starting to address it.
    Anonymous