What can she have?

My daughter just turned 7 months on the 28 of Dec and she has been working on baby food for a month now. They are cutting down on her formula and increasing her baby food.. She still wants the formula over the baby food. Usually I offer her the baby food and let her eat as much as she will (which is usually 2 oz) and then offer her the bottle. She will still down a whole 6 ozs of formula and if she sees the formula before the baby food she won't touch the baby food. My husband suggested to make the formula last longer that when I give her baby food I should offer her something else to drink instead of formula. So my question is, What should I offer her to drink besides formula? What can she drink at this age? Wic told me to give her double diluted juice or water in a sippy cup. I don't think she is ready for a sippy cup yet. I thought you couldn't give them straight water til they were older. So what can she have??

Faeriebrat

Asked by Faeriebrat at 11:13 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• give her a sippy
    water is fine
    but why cut back on formula?
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 11:16 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• My first son started solids at 4.5 months and we offered him water with all feedings in a soft spout sippy cup. They aren't that much different from a bottle. My son is a great water drinker now. Prefers it over anything else. I don't think you want her drinking juice all the time. just try water, and that is a good intro to the sippy cup...
    Simonsmama

Answer by Simonsmama at 11:17 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• I agree with the first poster, Why cut back on the formula. My doctor told us breastmilk or formula over baby food. Like if she wasnt drinking as much formula, then give her less baby food.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:45 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Well Wic said to cut back on the formula cause you want her off of it by the time she is 1... I keep getting conflicting answers on everything I ask.. since I am a new mom obviously I have a lot of questions cause I don't know yet. Like; a lot of the baby magazines say start her on finger foods and real foods. I just got her into baby food am I really already suppose to make the jump to real food already? They suggest giving her o shaped cereals, soft fruits and cheeses and what nots.. She has no teeth.. how in the world is she suppose to eat these things? My dr says follow the baby food starting off with Vegs, fruits, meats, then mixed. I was looking on the baby food containers..the only thing that is stage 1 is fruits and vegs (stage 1 for assisted sitters cause she won't sit on her own yet). My mother in law wants me to start giving her milk..No one has said anything to me about milk.. Wic says hold off on that til she is 1
    Faeriebrat

Answer by Faeriebrat at 11:45 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• and try a sippy, you would be surprised.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:46 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• gerber makes a jar stage 1 meat. I know they have chicken.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:47 PM on Dec. 30, 2009

• Ok...think about this...75+ years ago, when our grandparents were kids, what did thier parents feed them?

It wasn't formula, they were breastfed, or on goats milk or cows milk. (I'm not bashing, I use formula too, and I plan on using formal with this baby) but they weren't given pasturized, processed, or cultured baby food, they were given pureed table food...the same thing that mom and dad were having for dinner that night. Also, humans are like what??? 75% water???

Water will not hurt your baby (just make sure she dont drink to fast), I watered down my kids juice at first until they were used to it for a couple of months, then I started giving it to them strait once they could tolerate it. All I'm saying is that we rely to heavily on what WIC programs and parenting coaches tell us.

Listen to your mommy instincts, you wont be arrested by the WIC police if you try something different than what they tell you...
    Anonymous

• u can give her cherrios i gave my lil girl them before she had teeth just watch her shell suck on it and chop on it and can eat it with out teeth and u can give her real mash potatos and u can even make green beans and mash them up real good and feed them to her or really any fruit or veggie and dont give her anything too big to eat just like a small bite and u can really give her what u want when u think shes ready then give it to her and with the whole suported sitter and sitter and ect on them jars isnt true i gave im lil girl stuff before she was there just hold off on the milk til shes almost one then give it to her lil by lil k good luck
    myangelelena

Answer by myangelelena at 12:19 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Things like cheerios will actually begin to dissolve with baby's saliva while giving her the chance to learn the mechanics of chewing. I would never give juice, it's like baby cerals - mostly empty calories. A 7 month old still gets the bulk of her nutrition from formula or breastmilk. The baby foods and small bits of table foods are really for learning.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:30 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Perfect time for a sippy cup and we always had water in ours. My son was drinking from a sippy without help at 5 months. At 7 months she should still be getting most of her food from the formula...we were usually doing 4 8oz bottles a day at least, sometimes more with food inbetween. By 7 1/2 months my youngest was self feeding herself table food and was off baby food before she turned 9 months (by then she was down to 3 bottles a day with real food inbetween).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:42 PM on Dec. 31, 2009