Macrosomia...how high does your blood sugar have to be?

I just got back from the doctor and he says that I have suspected Macrosomia. He is a big boy! I am type 2 diabetic...but the last A1C I had was 5.4 and that was a month ago. I just don't feel like my blood sugar caused this. The number is pretty darn right in the middle of normal and I know I haven't had enough sugar in a month to make him huge like this. Any women that are diabetic and have had a child with macrosomia...how high were your sugars?

Lissachck

Asked by Lissachck at 11:27 PM on Dec. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was gestational with both of my pregnancies. I controlled my sugars with diet and very low insulin levels, only 5 units three times a day bef9re meals.

My first born was a preemie at 33 weeks and weighed 4.6 lb. He was one lb larger than expected.
    My second born was full term at 6.6 lb.

You are doing a super job keeping your sugar under control and you just may be having a big baby.
    mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 12:07 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• If you are "normal" why termed "macrosomic"??

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:10 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I guess that's something you'd have to ask my doctor...he's the one that used it. My numbers are 'normal'...I guess that doesn't necessarily mean the baby is.
    Lissachck

Answer by Lissachck at 3:18 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• 5.4 is not diabetic. I have one of 7 and was told I was not diabetic yet. I had gestational diabetes with two of my kids and handled it with diet (I refused insulin, ate low carb, not no carb, just lower.)
    Macrosomic just literally means overly large body. A mistake in dating the pregnancy could be at fault here. Just keep following up and don't allow them to do anything radical without many opinions.
    (I say that because my son's doctor wanted to remove part of his skull because he had a smaller then average head. Well, she never met my hubby or his dad. I found out from hubby that they both had small heads too....and we were not doing the surgery. Go figure, our son is now 15 and fine. without a noticeable head problem.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:55 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I had diabetes with my son. They size ultrasounds can be so off. they told me he was macrasomic. When i went in for my 36 week ultrasound they told me he was already 8lb 11oz! He was born at 39 weeks and was 8lb 8oz. I wouldnt worry. My sugars were moderately high..lol..
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 9:50 PM on Dec. 31, 2009