My 22 month old rarely eats a full meal anymore and prefers to just drink all day! What should I do?

marsha78

Asked by marsha78 at 2:16 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is perfectly normal for children, especially toddlers to do this. My 24 month old, when she was about 14 months didn't eat for a week. She probably had a total of 4oz of food. Man, was I freaking out, but I took her to the DR. and he said that as long as she is getting fluids that she would be fine. She only lost a few lbs, and she just started to eat again one morning. The thing he said you had to worry about is if they get really tired, and don't cry or want to be active. It turns out it was b/c she was getting a molar.
    lynenedubbels

Answer by lynenedubbels at 2:37 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Give water ONLY between meals, and give juice or milk during meal times. If it is still happening, try giving your child a half cup of drink for meal times and after he/she has eaten a good amount, give the other half. It worked for all 3 of my kids. Good luck!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:18 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• The season change could have something to do with it. My son pigged out this winter, but eats like a bird now. If his empty tummy is keeping him up at night, give him a small lunch & try to get him to eat a bigger dinner.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 3:03 PM on Jun. 25, 2008