little girls playing with themselves!!!

I'm a nanny for twin girls, they are five, and they both play with themselves quite a bit, i told there mom and she said just tell them " that is for the bed room and at night only". One does it more then the other girl, well she does it all day long, and doesn't care who's looking. i asked her why she does it, and she said that it feels good... is this normal, for five year old's?

jennna

Asked by jennna at 12:05 AM on Dec. 31, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• yes it is very normal sounds like their mom has the right attitude about it, all 3 of my kids have done this.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:07 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• omg i hope my little boy doesnt do that, sorry i dont have an answer
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:12 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• i used to do that, but i was sexually abused. just keep looking after them and see if anything else is different.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• OMG!! do you mean like masturbation? if you do, i dont think its ok for the mom to be like ok just do it in your room
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• it is natrual for little girls AND boys to touch themselves and even rub themselves on things because it feels good, I think mom has the right idea, not making them feel bad but letting them know it's not acceptable behavior infront of people
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 12:20 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• These kids are just exploring themselves and they accidently found out that touching themselves feels nice. Their mother has the right idea that is something you do in the privacy of your own bedroom only never in front of other people because it's not polite for company. They'll lose interest after awhile but it won't matter anyway because they'll have been taught that you do that alone only. If you tell them it's bad and dirty when they're little and just exploring they're more likely to feel sexually repressed when they're older so they'll do crazier things when they start sexually exploring.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• before assuming that they are just exploring, i think that sexual abuse should be ruled out. I was abused as a child and i masturbated all the time. soon after that i began to wet the bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I don't think thats normal. My daughter is 5 and does not do this yes she will touch herself at times but not like all the time. I never have to tell her not to do it! Its mostly in the tub or when she is in the bathroom. this is not normal I don't care what these others say NOT normal!
    Anonymous

• i can understand telling them that it is something u do by urself not infront of others but i dont think it is right for them to do it at all some might say it helps and when they get older they wont be repressed or what not but if u let them do it now and u say it is ok then the kids might think it is normal to do that with others when they get older and it will lead to having sex right. but i think to scare them and say it is bad then they might not have sex at an early age but every child is different and every parent is different do what u think is right for ur child.
    shannonsmom555

Answer by shannonsmom555 at 10:19 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

• My son is five, he constantly has his hands down his pants and I just have to remind him, but he doesn't do this at school, it isn't interfering with his life and I just know (AHEM DomoniqueWS ) that little boys (and girls) do this at some point. My son has never been abused, I am a SAHM and we are currently in hibernation (it's freakin cold out there! LOL) I think her mom is taking the right position with it, but I would just reinforce, reinforce, reinforce and DISTRACT them. My son does this when he is most comfortable, watching tv, just relaxing whatever, kind of like a boredom thing and I bet those girls are the same way. Play games with them, get them not so comfortable, dance, play twister or other games that get their bodies moving, might distract them long enough so they stop for a while.
    Anonymous