Second Grader Organizes Mass Homeless Shelter Donation

How awesome is this?

He may be a little guy, but he helps homeless folks in a big way.

After seeing a homeless woman during a holiday trip to Chicago, Jonathon Slack, a seven-year-old boy from Orland Park, led a 10-day donation drive, collecting over four truckloads of food and toys for a Chicago shelter.

Jonathon was moved to tears when he saw the homeless woman standing outide of Macy's on State Street, holding a sign that said she and her son had no place to live. After he finished crying, he was moved to action.

"At home that night after I read to him and getting him ready to be tucked in, he started crying," said Heather Slack, his mother.

Mrs.Owen86

Asked by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:31 AM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It's nice when kids think beyond themselves. Very inspiring.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:34 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:31 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• but the older kid who won't say the pledge until gay marriage is legal nationwide was being manipulated by his parents, right?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:55 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• OH seriously ?? THIS IT NOT a gay post please dont start that drama in here
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:01 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• it's not about that, it's about what people said about that kid versus this one. personally, even if the cause was one I didn't agree with, I'm always tremendously impressed and encouraged when a kid demonstrates that they are thinking about others, about fairness, about poverty, about justice.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:08 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Auto, that's the 1st thing that I thought about, too.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 1:46 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• He obviously has good parents who have influenced him and helped him do such a great thing. Just like the kid who wont stand for the pledge parents had a huge influence on the decision.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:14 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Crissy1213
    He obviously has good parents who have influenced him and helped him do such a great thing. Just like the kid who wont stand for the pledge parents had a huge influence on the decision.

Is there an inferrence that the parents of the second child are not good parents and the child's stand was not a good thing?

To the OP - I think this is a great story.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 3:08 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• LilM, don't ASSume. I made no implication of such BS. Nice try, you are now on the ignore the drama momma for a day list.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:12 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• OP great story, very inspirational.

To Auto, it doesn't matter if he won't say the pledge. It isn't required. All you have to say, is "I don't believe in saying that." and you can get an exemption. I wasn't impressed with that kid because he really didn't do anything real or tangible to make a difference. It was all talk.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 5:39 AM on Dec. 31, 2009