how can i teach my child not to be so clingy?

i have an 18 month old daughter who is very attached to me. she doesnt like when other ppl get near her and freaks out when i leave a room. she is with me all day and she is used to being with me all the time but i need to let her know that im not going anywhere. how can i help her become more social

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you leave her for short periods of time then come back and act thrilled to see her she will eventually understand that you aren't leaving her forever and will cling less and play more good luck.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 1:46 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Try taking her to the park more often and encourage her to play with the other kids. Allow her to also become acquainted with the other Moms. Praise her highly for intermingling in small intervals. Gradually build her up to being left alone with someone you trust. Tell her Mommy is going bye-bye but will be back for her baby. Have her say it with you "Mommy will be back for me cause she loves me so much." This worked out very well for my girlfriend's son who was also very clingy.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 6:04 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• First, understand that the separation anxiety and accompanying clinging is a normal stage of development. She's become quite well aware of the fact that you and she are different people. :) The first and most important thing step in helping her through this is by providing her the security she wants. When you're out in a new setting or with new people around - let her cling a little. When you're leaving a room, reassure her that you're coming back. Introduce social opportunities like ewadun recommended. Try story time at the library, park trips, etc. When she ventures away from you, praise her like nuts. :) Play hide and seek. She'll learn that you go out of sight and you return...and it's fun! :) good luck. Both my kids went through this stage. And both outgrew it. Sometimes, frankly, I miss it today. LOL!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:51 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• My daughter used to freak out when I would leave the room, so I started playing peek a boo from the next room after a couple of times, she got bored and did something else. It ended that problem.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:03 PM on Dec. 31, 2009