Question about Breastfeeding while on a 17 hour drive?!

I am still pregnant but i am due April 1. By the time we do leave Wa to drive down to Los angeles the baby will be about 4 1/2 - 5 months old. Sometime around August-Sept we are driving down. It takes 17 hours none stop. The only stops we are making is for gas, restrooms and Rest Stops to go use the bathroom and stretch. I have never ever Breastfeeded my other two kids so i dont know how it will work. we have a subaru tribeca 2006. only enough room for 3 car seats in the back. both my older kids are 5 and 3 1/2 and obviously still in car seats. so there is no room for me to sit in the back and BF while he is driving which i think is dangerous to have a baby out of a car seat. Two, how can i do this? we are not going to stop at hotels because its too expensive. Should i buy one of these or both? I dont want my son confused either.
http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=686
or http://www.babyearth.com/adiri

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ok first off...I have done multiple 14 hour drives from LA to Oregon and I EBF my daughter... you need to give yourself PLENTY of time...our normal 14 hour drive added on 6-8 hours for stops for feeding. Do not supplement..it will cause more problems. If you want to go the pumping direction, then do not introduce a bottle until about 6 weeks old to prevent nipple confusion...I know some babies never have it, but most do. Also like a pp said, used a slow flow nipple, a bf baby should never have a anything fast. Also be aware that some women do not respond well to pumps...I could barely pump a quarter ounce...every woman is different though and if you can and do go that route then even if the baby is being fed with only bm from a bottle you still have to pump a few times at night to help maintain your supply and get some relief. IMO your best bet is to feed that baby everytime he/she wants, if you need to pull off in a deserted
    mammacita9

Answer by mammacita9 at 2:38 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• bf at every stop
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:58 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Pump while you are the passenger then give the baby the pumped milk in a bottle. Also every stop you need to BF. It will be fine
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:00 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Okay but what if the baby is fussy and crying like crazy? we cant stop just because he is crying. We have drove to LA from WA state 2 times and back 2 times. The Rest Stops are far far in distance especially in OR and then certain spots in California. Sometimes more then a hour in distance. we are buying a new GPS system to let us know but like i said we know how far they are. I just dont want to see my baby crying for hours. My husband has never been around a woman who has BF. So he doesnt know how it will be and i know how he is. he gets frustrated fast.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• truealaskanmom- Okay what about nipple confusion? when do i start using a bottle so he can take it but also not reject me later? I know some babies end up using a bottle, some dont want any bottles and others do fine. Im just worried lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• He should be old enough that he wont have nipple confusion, if you give him a pumped bottle once a week from the beginning that will help he wont care. If he gets fussy do what you can turned around in your seat, and if you have to pull over then you will have to. Just make sure it is a safe spot and pull him out BF change diaper get him calmed down and it should be alright.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:04 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• When do i start using a bottle or introducing one? After a month he has been born or longer?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I would say in the first month I did that with my dd I had to give pumped bottle when she was 2 weeks I had cracked and bleeding nipples, and she would take either me or the bottle anytime so it took stress off me I could pump and have dh feed with no issue etc. Just make sure that it is a very low flow nipple on the bottle they will start having preference if it comes out faster than it does on you.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:09 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• First of all, in july my husband and i took our 6 month old to san diego from washington... 18 hour drive.. took 3 days because we stopped for a day and a half... She hadn't started much food by then and I solely breast fed while i could help it... but I guarantee you that with three kids you'll be stopping a lot more then you want to... You need to breast feed at every stop.. Get a hand held pump (medela) and get some bottles normal bottles and you'll be fine... you can pump in the front.. your kids won't even really notice if u have the music up.. and you can hand the bottle back for the 5 year old to feed the baby the bottle.. or you can reach back and hold it... which ever is easier.. just give your self a lot of time to get down there and don't try and rush it.. and don't try to starve the baby because you don't want to stop plus by 4 months... i don't like encouraging this but you could supplement formula for the trip..
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 2:12 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Thanks, i appreciate the help!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Dec. 31, 2009