How can I afford to be a stay at home mom to care for my daughter???

My daughter suffer's from a disease called Tuberous Sclerosis and has been battling seizures for over a year in a half approx. I work fulltime, I'm a single parent (dad does help with what he can) and my daughter is in and out of the hospital. I was really considering just staying home to care for her but I don't think I can afford it and it's killing me!!! PLEASE HELP!

I'm not too sure about welfare because won't they go after her dad for childsupport? He's supporting both his kids so that's not what I want.

Thanks in advance

MichelleR05

Asked by MichelleR05 at 2:27 AM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Money & Work

• Read this:

I have some ideas listed on my Blog:  Mavi's Home Work.

Be sure to read the work at home article series from eHow.    Work at Home Article Series.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:47 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Yes - if you go to welfare they will go after the bio dad for child support, as well they should! But if he's already supporting them, he should have no problem with putting it in writing and paying them, so they can give you welfare. Since your daughter has a medical condition, you can also look into SSI (which is income based, so you may not qualify until after you quit your job) - but the last time I checked the max on that was like $700/month. I'm not sure what you make, but you can look at how much it's "costing" you to work (wardrobe, commute, meals out, etc) and see what you would save if you stayed home. Also - could you work nights/weekends when her dad is out of work to care for her?

Answer by missanc at 10:01 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I work at home with a 5 year old at school, a 2 year old at home with me and one on the way. The company I work with just recently won an award with the BBB for their ethics and integrity. There are no parties, no stocking of inventory, no MLM! Feel free to contact me at my website which is www.beingunited.com or my email which is rebeccabowen@live.com. I would love to answer your questions and get you all the information. Thanks
    Rebecca
    Rebecca325

Answer by Rebecca325 at 1:00 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• The best answer I can give is with my business opportunity. It has enabled so many to regain their footing, fianancially speaking. Take a look at this video and if you want to discuss further, just email me.

http://researchfortune.com/research%20fortune_007.htm
    Peodigy

Answer by Peodigy at 1:50 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• They might go after him but I think you guys can reach an agreement out of court. I'm not positive, so make sure you talk to someone that actually works with that sort of thing. You can apply for other things, too, and there are things other than welfare, aren't there? Are there any family members that can help you? I feel so bad that this is happening to you and I hope everything works out!
    metalhealthmama

Answer by metalhealthmama at 3:22 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Lower your expenses.
    One of the best ways to do that is to get out of debt. Pay off the car, credit cards, student loans, etc.
    Start by getting on a written budget and sticking to it. You might have to work for a little while until you're out of debt, but then once you're done, you're done.

Check out DaveRamsey.com for more info or visit the Dave Ramsey group on Cafemom.
    GOOD LUCK!
    Anonymous

• have you seen this yet? http://mymoneyfish.com/u/getyoursnow
    Anonymous