Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I afford to be a stay at home mom to care for my daughter???

My daughter suffer's from a disease called Tuberous Sclerosis and has been battling seizures for over a year in a half approx. I work fulltime, I'm a single parent (dad does help with what he can) and my daughter is in and out of the hospital. I was really considering just staying home to care for her but I don't think I can afford it and it's killing me!!! PLEASE HELP!

I'm not too sure about welfare because won't they go after her dad for childsupport? He's supporting both his kids so that's not what I want.

Thanks in advance

Answer Question

Asked by MichelleR05 at 2:28 AM on Dec. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • No welfare wont go after the father. I had foodstamps and WIC with my son and they never went after him or even brought it up.
    You got to do what you got to do.
    Maybe look in to trying an at home job as well?
    I know some telemarketers you can work from home.

    Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:49 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

  • I don't know...maybe check out FMLA...and even if welfare does have him pay child support...he is already doing it shouldn't be a big deal...I am sorry that you are in a bind, but check out every ave that you can to see if you can stay home with your daughter...I def think that is in both of your best interests. Good luck and I hope you figure it out.

    Answer by mammacita9 at 2:51 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

  • I would get a caseworker. You may be able to collect a "caregiver's" salary from the state. My mom took care of my grandma and she got paid for it. Maybe you can too. Especially since she needs so much care.
    Good luck.

    Answer by Whatkids at 4:30 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

  • in my state they will go after the dad, if they can. though it is two separate divisions. you may be able to get social security for your child, along with food stamps, and you could watch kids in your home and make money that way.

    Answer by angevil53 at 9:56 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

  • You should be able to file for Social Security/Disability for your daughter. It might take a lil time to get it straight but you need to go file NOW. This would help and maybe you can work from home doing customer service? 1-800 Flowers hires people for Valentines and Mothers Day to take flower orders from your home. Also Alpine Access, Cloud 10 and a few others out there are legitimate work from home oppurtunities with MINIMAL investment and you can work 30-40 hours a week.


    Answer by Sandyr911 at 11:43 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

  • i agree your child should reaceave dissability and medical and foodstamps so that would help. Here weither or not they (state) goes after the father depends on alot of factors.and if he is helping even a little they probaly wont as there are bigger fish to fry on that SHOULD be able to get ssd for her and possibly a stipend to take care of cant hurt to try.

    Answer by drivnkids at 1:16 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

  • Mrs.Owen86, with food stamps and wic, no they don't go after the father but if I need any cash assistance or anything else, yes they will :( that's what sucks so idk what to do. I've tried so hard looking for a s.a.h.j. and I can't find ANYTHING that u DONT HAVE TO PAY THEM or that isn't false

    Answer by MichelleR05 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

  • Thank you so much mammacita, I'm definately gonna look into that aswell

    Answer by MichelleR05 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

  • Whatkids, i never heard of that, i'm going to check into that and see thanks

    Answer by MichelleR05 at 4:18 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

  • sandyr911, i have applied for it and YOU AIN'T LIEING when you said it takes long lol, i think we're almost there though to find out if she qualifies. she got denied once so this is our second time now. THANK YOU A BUNCH!

    Answer by MichelleR05 at 4:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.