Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think?

If parents refuse to provide for their child and they go into foster care, should parents be allowed to have visitation with their children even if they never help support them?

Answer Question

Asked by legalmommy101 at 3:39 AM on Dec. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 7 (169 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Support and visitation are two separate issues. I believe a child should have contact with their birth parents no matter what.

    Answer by Ewadun at 5:37 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

  • are the refusing to care for the child, or Can Not care for the child, there lies the issue?

    Answer by CuteandCurvy at 8:07 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

  • I think there would have to be a lot of factors taken into consideration. It's about much more than whether or not they pay support. The bigger question would be whether or not they could be emotionally, psychologically, and spiritually supportive even if they were unable to support financially. That would involve a huge amount of input from friends and relatives and evaluations by people who were well qualified.

    Answer by NannyB. at 8:33 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

  • i am a mother that dosent receave child support but i would NEVER deny them seeing there father, money and visitions have NOTHING to do with eachother.This is about the health of the child not about your pocket my opinion a mother that denies visitation on that reason is selfish and harming there child. Kids dont understand money and all that all they know is that you are not letting them see there dad...actually makes YOU look like the %^& not the other way around. And i do belive that any lawer or judge will tell you the same thing.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

  • In my opinion, it's not about how much financial support the parents can or can not provide, it's about what is best for the child. Turn the question around and ask yourself if it would be in the best interest of the *child* to stay in contact with the parents.

    Answer by jessradtke at 2:38 AM on Jan. 1, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.