Disgusting. Why would someone do this?

Investigators recovered the remains of more than 500 animals after executing a search warrant Wednesday at a home in the Feltonville section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, according to the city's chapter of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

The group's director of law enforcement said he believes the animals -- the majority of which were chickens -- were sacrificed as part of a Santeria religious ritual.

U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that rituals of Santeria -- a religion similar to voodoo and originated in Cuba and Brazil -- are permitted under the Constitution. But he believes these animals may not have been sacrificed humanely. If that is the case, the home's owner could be prosecuted, he said.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 5:01 AM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• "Animal sacrifice is the most misunderstood part of Santeria, especially in the United States. Santeros who have the right to use the knife are trained to do so in the most humane way possible. Except in cases where the animal is cleaning sickness or death from the person, parts of it are ritually prepared and presented to the Orishas and the rest is eaten by the community as a way to share in the ashe of the animal that gave its life to the Orishas."

I don't know- but to me this seems like an awful lot of animals...maybe it isn't related to Santeria at all?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:50 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:01 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• People are assholes...that's all I can say
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:14 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• While I don't agree w/ ritualistic animal sacrifice it wasn't tooo far back in our history we were sacrificing humans!! In other religions & other countries they do things differently. Alot of other cultures see how our women are portrayed on tv & music videos as disgusting. Each has their own definition of what's appropriate acceptable behaviors.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:53 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Well, as much as I disagree w/ inhumane treatment of animals as a whole, what this person did likely isn't any worse than what food farms do to chickens, cattle, sheep, and pigs... If you're going to get disgusted about the treatment of animals, start by looking in your own refrigerator, first.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 9:32 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I agree, Iskkra. I am a vegetarian and have been since childhood, so I feel justified when pointing out animal cruelty. IMO, it's bit hypocritical to get up in arms about animals being killed if you're eating slaughtered animals every day. No offense to the OP at all, as I agree that the santeria animal sacrifices are appalling, but just wanted to point out that other line of thought.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I'd like to think of myself as 'open minded' but I have trouble fitting the words 'humane' and 'animal sacrifice' together. I am going to have to research to find out if they eat the animal when they are done. That would make more sense to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I agree with Anon :31..
    ajtherad

Answer by ajtherad at 10:39 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• It's another religion and culture that we have no right to impose our beliefs on. And besides, how can they gather if the animals were sacrificed humanely or not?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• "Well, as much as I disagree w/ inhumane treatment of animals as a whole, what this person did likely isn't any worse than what food farms do to chickens, cattle, sheep, and pigs... If you're going to get disgusted about the treatment of animals, start by looking in your own refrigerator, first"

DITTO!!!! The dead animals in your fridge have been maltreated, tortured & killed for our benefit, unless you eat organic free range animals, you also have part in the inhumane treatment of animals.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:52 AM on Dec. 31, 2009