Do you refer to your children as monsters, mistakes, problems

or swear at them? I am so shocked to read that women talk to their kids that way! Why is it acceptable? Do you not realize they will grow up thinking that about themselves? Build them up, don't tear them down!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:30 AM on Dec. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• Thankfully, I never did call my children names nor did I swear at them. I have only in recent years come to understand how very detrimental such things are to a child's psyche. They are affected by it for their entire lives, unless they somewhere find healing for the damage that is done by such abuse. It's funny that people who would never spank a child, which doesn't do any kind of permanent damage, think nothing of calling their children names and saying derogatory things about them, which does irreparable damage to them.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:29 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I do call my children monsters. It's said as a term of endearment, not when I'm disciplining them. They'll do something funny, and I laugh and say they're monsters. Tone goes far in determining whether a word is bad. Growing up, my nickname was Boo Boo. It's never made me feel I was a mistake, even though I understood that I wasn't planned.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:32 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I guess I wasn't thinking of that, "my little monsters" feeling. More of actually talking and thinking of your kids as monsters.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:33 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I call my son a brat, but I totally say it as a term of endearment. We all call each other "mean" names that sound really bad in text but really its like a pet name. I agree that its all in the way you say it. I would NEVER call my son a mistake, he was very much planned. When I get mad at DS I try to calm down and focus on the issue, and not clump it with the other things going wrong that day. Some people just can't seem to be patient with their kids.
    I'm pregnant again, I call the baby Trouble, because it feels like the game Trouble and that die in the poppy thing. It feels like its bouncing around in there. We can't call it a gender-specific name because we don't know the gender. I also called my son Fatty because I wanted a healthy baby and I wanted him to grow. He was a little pudge ball too, until he hit 6 months.

Some people are so mean to their kids . I can't believe some of the things they say to and about them
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:55 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• We call my DD Boo Boo also cause she wasn't planned but she was very much wanted and we don't mean it by anymean being mean...AT ALL.... She is are pride and joy it's just a nick name sometimes i will call her peanut also cause she's our walnut peanut.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:14 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• i do call my 1yr old DD an evil lil bebe......whenim tickiling her and NEVER outside that.....i DO hate it when mom or dads are being serious and say that though,like, its not THEIR fault YOU either screwed up with the condom or your parenting!!!
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 7:22 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Yes I call my sons monsters and terrors. It isn't said in a mean way. My sons love the nicknames they have. And yes I also swear at them. But they are just words. Kids don't know the meaning society has attached to such words. Words have no meaning unless you give them one. So my kids view my swearing as mommy is really upset and that is all that I am trying to convey.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I do tell them they are starting like Satans children when they are starting to get out of control. But Im not at all mean about it!! I say it to get them to straighten up. And it works... most of the time. But other than that i call them my little angels, my sweet boys and the loves of my life! I would NEVER call them mean names just to hurt them or belittle them. My aunt does that to her 11 yr old. She calls her a moron. One time while i was visiting her B came home from school and was all flustered because on of the kids was cussing in the van on the way home from school. Her adrenalin was pumping and she couldnt remember exactly what happened, because she was flustered, and her mom looks st her in the eye and says are you that stupid that you cant remember a conversation that happened not even 30 minutes ago? I was in total shock and couldnt believe what I just heard. I would NEVER do anything like that to me kids!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• This is "unplanned parenting" in action. Making kids pay for their own carelessness.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Yes it disturbs me! I wish people who resented having kiddos would have made better choices BEFORE they got here!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:26 AM on Dec. 31, 2009