Why do people leave a child alone with a dog?

I never understand why people will leave a child a lone with a dog and then complained when the child is bitten by the dog. my daughter is 7 and is never alone near a dog. I think CPS should get involved in every child that is bitten by a dog.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on Dec. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• If we had a family pet, I wouldn't and couldn't be that protective of my child not to let them alone with our family dog,if it I didn't trust it, I wouldn't have it....as I was growing up...By the time I was 7 our dog slept in my bed with me, Most of the children that have gotten bitten have been children that were never taught how to behave around animals, or the animals were never well behaved enough to be around children in the first place.. Teach a child how to handle a situation instead of keeping them away from it...
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 8:05 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• if you dont trust the dog, then yes I think its a problem, but I trust my dog. I have no problem leaving my 3yo with our dog. I would NEVER keep a dog I couldnt trust with my son
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 8:05 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• If you've got a vicious dog then it shouldn't be in your house because it could bite anyone, not just your child. If its the family dog then I don't see a problem with leaving the child alone with him. If youve got to sit and watch the dog AND the child then the dog needs to go.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 8:30 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• There's a difference between the family dog & a friends dog. I agree that you should NEVER leave a child alone w/ a dog that it wasn't raised around. However dogs are a pack animal, they are designed to live in groups. As long as your dog knows its place in the pack there shouldn't be a problem. Agree w/ cuteandcurvey, you have to teach your child how to interact w/ animals especially dogs, (here there are stories every week about someone getting bitten by a stray while they were doing nothing more than walking down the road). Kids should learn the worse thing you can do when a dog runs up to you is to run, that makes it either a game or them prey depending on the dog. There are certain breeds I watch much more closely around my dd, 8 mo & won't put her down on the floor around other dogs. We have a dog that I'll leave her w/ for short periods of time, they are in the living room, i'm in the kitchen. I check on cont
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:30 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• dogs are animals, as much as we love them,. while I think calling CPS for every case is extreme, I agree they shouldnt be left alone. Life isnt like a sweet homey movie, where the family dog is just the extra "nana" for a child. they are reactive, something hurts/scares/upsets them...they can bite. why risk it?Lets say the family pet, had her for yrs and she has been around 100 screaming kids everyday, suddenly one day has an ear ache...child wacks ear accidentally...do you think that dog is gonna think"oops thats ok"? ummm, no. we like to think we can place human reactions and emotions on our domesticated animals...but an animal is an animal is an animal and we can only peek so far into their heads. you wanna live with that, that your "sureness" about your dog, got a child bit? I sure the heck dont. use good judgement is all
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• them constantly to ensure there are no problems. My dog knows that the baby comes before her, we've had a few instances of testing behaviors, mostly taking toys. I make it clear to both of them that they both have their own toys and aren't allowed to play w/ each others. I also have a special spot for the dog so if she doesn't wanna play w/ the baby anymore she can go somewhere to get away from her. I NEVER let my dd anywhere near the dog's food bowl or her bones (items dogs are most likely to bite over). I also feed the dog only after the baby has been fed & I let the dog watch the baby eat, this solidifies that the baby is a more important member of the pack than the dog. Most kids that get bitten have not been taught how to correctly interact w/ the dog, usually it's not even the dog's fault, its reacting on instinct. Understanding how dogs operate makes a huge difference.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:37 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• There are worse things that can happen than a dog bite. Haven't you ever been bitten? It's a learning experience, isn't it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I think that you should never leave a little one unattended with a dog, but my DS got a nip for pulling our dogs tail, and I was standing right there! Our dog has never bitten before, and it was a reaction to his pain, DS is now 5 and treats all animals with respect! I would never leave a child alone with any dog I wasn't totally comfortable with, but I wouldn't have a dog like that in the first place! I think calling CPS over every dog bite is extreme.....
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:15 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I trust my dogs and my children but would never leave a small child alone with my dogs. Why both young kids and my puppy (whos 80 pounds) are unpredictable. An adult is always in the room. However neither one of my dogs is food or toy aggressive and even my 3 yo knows not to bother the dogs or get near them when they are playing, sleeping of eating. Not out of fear but out of respect for each other. Thats the problem some people have they think just cause a dog is domesticated all it's instincts are breed out. Sorry still an animal. And young kids do not have the life experiences to understand the danger. And I have been around dogs for 38 years and never have been bitten.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:16 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I leave my 16-month-old son alone with our 100lb lab in the same room. I'm in the kitchen where I can see both of them but I trust him 100%. My son has been pulling his tail, pulling his ears, slapping him on the nose for as long as he has been able to and Sammy will just lick him to pieces.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Dec. 31, 2009