should I buy a manual pump?

so Im going back to work on the 15th
well I have a meeting on the 6th as well....6 hours

I breastfeed with the exception of giving pumped milk occasionally when my fiance is home with the baby and I am gone

so the electric breast pump is simply too much to lug around for me
I want something I can put in my bag use and put the milk away without having to put my breast pump gear all over my desk and have it be hella loud in the office LOL
I currently pump 4 oz per boob and when i get to 4 oz I stop. I pump twice a day currently so I can keep an excess flow going.

so did you use a manual breast pump?
were you able to pump as much as you did when you used an electric?

I was also thinking of getting a small cooler and putting a couple small icepacks to store the milk. What did you use? any tips on BF and working?

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 9:35 AM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Medela makes the best pumps. My hand pump is a Medela Harmony. If I'd had a Pump N Style, I probably would have been fine with that. I had a couple of other mechanical pumps from WIC, and I liked my hand pump better than either of those. I had better control of the rate and just liked it better. It was more comfortable. It's not as fast, though, so it's a matter of how much time you have to pump and how fast your flow is when you pump. Also, to build up your stock at home, try pumping while nursing. Baby on one side, pump on the other. Your milk will really flow, and you can stockpile some milk at home this way.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:48 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• oh an I should work 4-5 time a week and 4-6 hours a day
    so if there is a pump that would work best for that 2-3 times per day 4-5 times a week please inform me
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:36 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I never could get much with a manual pump because it really hurt my hand after a while (but I had to pump a long time, some women are just fountains with a pump). I just couldn't keep up with demand. I bought a single medela electric pump and it is much more efficient for me as I can use one or both hands to manually massage the breast to increase my output. I don't need to travel with it, but it is pretty compact.   http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418BRQA3BDL.jpg

<i>http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418BRQA3BDL.jpg</i>

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:20 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• A hand pump is usually for SAHM, mni electric pumps (plug in/battery) for part-time work (24-30 hours a week), a near hospital grade (pump in style, freestyle or purly yours) or hospital grade pump (rental pump) for full time work. What you are looking for in a pump is something that will maintain your milk while you're away from your baby. The hospital grade and near hospital grade pumps have faster pumping cycles which stimulate the breasts more than a hand pump and that is why they are recommended for full-time work (greater than 30 hours a week). If you do not completely empty your breasts at regular intervals, your body thinks you do not need that milk and will start decreasing the milk at that time of day. Hope this helps.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 10:39 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I used an electric pump at work, it was way faster than using a hand pump and much more effective.
    But I also had the Medela hand pump and thought it worked great. I used it mostly for long car trips or if I got engorged and needed to pump off a little...
    I think it would be best to use an elecetic if it's something you are going to do on a regular basis. If you won't be pumping at home you could leave the pump at work and just bring the cooler back and forth rather than the whole pump. I got a hands free bra to pump so I could pump and eat my lunch at the same time... or read a book or something... because pumping can sure eat away your break time.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:35 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• i have the medela pump in style. it looks like a purse and is easy to carry around. it has a little cooler bag w/ it that i kept frozen and put my milk in. you can look into getting a single one. but, then you're going to have extra bags to carry around. if you're interested, you can check out your local LC or motherhood maternity. both carry the pumps.

mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 1:06 AM on Jan. 1, 2010