How can i get my 14 month old boy to sleep better?

He will go through periods where he will do fairly well at night (meaning he only gets up once). Then there are nights that i am up with him 4-6 times a night. I am not a mom that can just let him cry it out but, I desperatly need some sleep. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

smiley1979

Asked by smiley1979 at 9:39 AM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does he take naps? Maybe if he does or takes more then one you can eliminate them and he will sleep better at night. I'm not sure if you bathe him before he goes to sleep but that might help. Is he hungry? Does he eat enough before he goes to sleep. Also does he sleep alone. If he has his own room maybe buying a nightlight or leaving the closet lilght on might help him if he is scared. Good luck. I hope I helped.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 10:36 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• My daughter is 16 months old and she does that also. I have started giving her a big dinner an hour later and then her bath. IT used to be at 7 and 7:30 but now it's at 8 and 8:30....she is usually asleep by 9. Sometimes she will wake up 3-5 times a night, sometimes none. What I can suggest is don't take away any naps. If they get overtired, they have a harder time sleeping. Also, i know it's cold out, but we bundle her up and she runs around for a good 1-2 hours without stopping. The fresh air helps also. Good luck :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:29 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• My son was the same way. And I didn't like to let him cry either. However he is 26 months now and I have started letting him cry himself to bed at night and he sleeps 11 hours straight. It's awsome. The crying to sleep only lasted a couple of nights.
    mama32177

Answer by mama32177 at 12:07 PM on Dec. 31, 2009