Question about the word "lover"....opinions wanted.

Several scenarios here.....
If you read the following post what would you think? (FYI female talking) -- "I miss my lover!" What is the relationship implied here?

Now consider the female talking is 17 y.o......does that change what you about the implied relationship?

Now this last scenario is primarily for those familiar with the Christian phrase "Jesus Christ as the Lover of your Soul" ...... what if this same 17 y.o. female says that Jesus is the Lover of her Soul and her best friend is her "lover" symbolizing her love for Jesus? Does that "really" change the implied meaning of the word "lover"? Wouldn't this suggest that she is desperate for attention, maybe trying to get a rise out of someone or is this a legitimate use of the word "lover"? I've looked up the word "lover" in the dictionary, however, think about how this word is used now, in the 21st century!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• To me it implies a sexual relationship when you are talking about people. When you say Jesus is the lover of my soul, to me that says Jesus loves my soul. I'm not sure I understand the point of your question

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:01 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• In our society, in the real world, we use the term lover to mean someone with whom we have a sexual relationship. Strangely, it implies that the relationship is sexual without strong commitment. I don't know why anyone would use it in any other way. In the phrase "lover of my soul" I think lover is used to mean "one who loves" and the context is completely different. More like "seafood lover" or "music lover". When we use the term "______ lover" we mean someone who loves that thing. When we say "my lover" we mean the person we are having sex with. As to why the 17 year old girl would use the term this way....she is either ignorant and immature or having a sexual relationship with her friend and didn't expect you or whoever saw what she wrote to see what she wrote...and now she is covering it up with the Jesus quote!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:09 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• she's young..how many people have used words they didn't fully understand, intent-wise, at any age? get off of her, whoever she was..she'll learn as she matures. for so many people, like the pp, any form of 'lover' is implied sexuality. for some, its not. some people have a problem with sexuality, whether they realize it or not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• you can have an intimate close relationship that is not sexual in anyway... it's a type of closeness.

also, there is a Christian song and the words are - Jesus lover of my soul, Jesus I will never let You go, You've taken me from the miry clay, You set my feet upon the rock and now I know, I love you, I need you, though my world may fall I'll never let you go, my Savior, my closest friend, I will worship you until the very end, Jesus lover of my soul.

It's an intimate close relationship with someone who knows you so well. It's not sexual at all and the teenagers reference about a best friend was a good way to reference what she was probably talking about....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Interestingly enough, as a teenager I got into a huge arguement with my mom over that word. I referred to my boyfriend as my lover. I meant it as "the one I love" because I loved him. I did not mean it in a sexual way. I was 17 or so. My mom did not believe me, hence the fight.

Of course, now I see the other meanings of the word and would feel the same way my mom did. But as a teenager, I didn't get it. My girl friends called each other words like "lover" and "lovely" and "love." It is possible that she just means it in a light-hearted, cute way.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 12:24 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I use the word lover for my best friend, not because we are sexual with each other, but like a pp said its a closeness. I dont use it for all friends just my best friend, I really do love her and she does love me.
    Anonymous

•  "I miss my lover!" What is the relationship implied here?
    A sexual relationship with an emotional attachment.

No.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:07 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

•  what if this same 17 y.o. female says that Jesus is the Lover of her Soul and her best friend is her "lover" symbolizing her love for Jesus? Does that "really" change the implied meaning of the word "lover"?  Yes.  It now suggests only an emotional attachment.

Wouldn't this suggest that she is desperate for attention, maybe trying to get a rise out of someone or is this a legitimate use of the word "lover"?  It is impossible to say what her intention is.  It could also mean she has poor grammar, but anything at this point would be pure speculation.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:12 PM on Dec. 31, 2009