Question about the word "lover"....opinions wanted.

Several scenarios here.....
If you read the following post what would you think? (FYI female talking) -- "I miss my lover!" What is the relationship implied here?

Now consider the female talking is 17 y.o......does that change what you about the implied relationship?

Now this last scenario is primarily for those familiar with the Christian phrase "Jesus Christ as the Lover of your Soul" ...... what if this same 17 y.o. female says that Jesus is the Lover of her Soul and her best friend is her "lover" symbolizing her love for Jesus? Does that "really" change the implied meaning of the word "lover"? Wouldn't this suggest that she is desperate for attention, maybe trying to get a rise out of someone or is this a legitimate use of the word "lover"? I've looked up the word "lover" in the dictionary, however, think about how this word is used now, in the 21st century!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Relationships

• I have and will always have issues with this word.....I would think that a17 year old is trying to "appear" adult in using it! I guess it always makes me laugh to hear women call their boyfriends or husbands lovers! I think saying it I am a lover of you, implies a totally different meaning!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:04 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• To me the 17 year old does not know what she is talking about. she probably heard that on a movy or something.

Answer by louise2 at 10:05 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Obviously it depends on what context "lover" is being used in. Jesus as Lover of your soul does not bring to mind anything sexual in the same way that someone referring to themselves as a movie lover or chocolate lover does not imply an inappropriate relationship with movies or chocolate. But when I hear lover, as in "they were lovers", I think of people having an intimate physical relationship.

The 17 year old saying that her best friend (Jesus) is her "lover" either doesn't fully understand what she's saying, or is just trying to be dramatic, as is so common for that age. I know I said plenty of off the wall stuff that makes me blush to remember now. "Jesus is the Lover of my soul" doesn't strike me as weird, but "Jesus is my best friend and lover" is a little off.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:25 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• now days I've heard girls call each other lover, just for it to me nothing. times and the way people speak are different. I hear girls call thier best friend a slut or a hoe and now days its a compliment idk lol.
    Rebeccaroe

Answer by Rebeccaroe at 10:26 AM on Dec. 31, 2009