Eczema flare up.

I don't know what to do anymore- everytime i give my baby a real bath he gets the worst flare ups with his eczema. it looks awful- anyone else deal with this? is there a way to give him a bath without this happening (I'm only giving him a bath once a week now)

Hali_Taylor

Asked by Hali_Taylor at 10:45 AM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could be the kind of soap you use - dyes and perfumes will irritate the skin. Try using Ivory or one from the Aveeno line. Pat her dry, don't rub with a towel, then apply a lotion immediately. A and D ointment brings great relief to my daughter when she has flare ups. She usually breaks out behind her knees. In the summer, time spent in a chlorinated pool does wonders. The combination of the chlorine and sunlight is a great natural remedy.
    happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 11:35 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I put a capful of bleach in my sons bath. I also use most of the Aveeno baby lotion line for eczema. They have a great bath treatment that is new. I have found too that AFTER putting the lotion on, If I use pure hospital grade lanolin on top of the lotion or even the prescription meds it will clear up within a couple days. You can buy it at Walmart in the baby section. They sell it as relief from breastfeeding if your nipples are cracked and dry. Good luck!
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 11:57 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• It could be the water itself or soap. Use a dye free additive free soap like a castille (kirk's castille is one brand) or a hand made natural unscented oatmeal soap. Very little! To rule out the water, bathe the baby in distilled or bottled water to see the results. You can soothe wit pure aloe and moisturize with virgin coconut or olive oil or raw shea butter.

no lotions, no shampoo, no powders!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:25 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Put coconut oil on the afflicted areas. If you are breastfeeding, eliminate dairy.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:42 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• how does me eating dairy have anything to do with HIS skin condition? just wondering since they speculate now eating dairy will hurt anyones skin.
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 2:37 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• California Baby products are recommended for kids with skin conditions. They have a wide variety of products and are decent price. My kids all have keratosis pilaris (benign skin condition) as well as eczema. Their pediatrician recommended giving baths only every 2-3 days unless they got really dirty which of course a newborn doesn't. My sister's DD also has eczema and she's been using the California Baby products since she was born and it helps to control it. You can buy the products at Target too. They make soaps, lotions, creams, sunscreen, and a few other things too. It's all natural, and has no sulfates either.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:44 PM on Dec. 31, 2009