Soda or Pop? Regional language question here. :)

Just wondering(another question made this one pop in my head here) when you order a drink do you say soda or pop? When it's time to eat do you say supper or dinner's ready? I also notice that when I taever it'lk to my family back home they always say "whatchamacallit" instead of "whats it called?".

Do you have any vernacular in your region or in your family that you use that is used where you live?

I always say "right on" and a friend of mine in canada laughed and said "i haven't heard that since the 70's" LOL it's very popular to say that out here. It's where i picked it up actually i'm originally from the hoosier state and live in vegas now.

I thought it'd be fun to see what the "dialect"(second cup of coffee here, can't think of the word i want to use, not dialect, but maybe someone knows what it's called, you know regional words or phrases LOL) of other moms is around the country/globe. :)

CinderAmethyst

Asked by CinderAmethyst at 11:41 AM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Soda....but i like it when people say "pop" I wished i was raised using that word.

I know some people who call ALL soda's "Coke" It does not matter if it's gigner ale, or sprite, coke means any type of soda to them....interesting...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:43 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I switch between everything is a coke and everything is a soda :) I'm a military brat who was raised mostly overseas though so that probably doesn't help.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 11:45 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Some actually published on this a while ago. The map they made with their data is all over the net now:

http://blog.nbc.com/ross_blog/popvssodamap.gif

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:45 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I forgot about that...they do say coke! :)
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 11:46 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Lol, when I was in Cali it was soda, in MN its pop. They make fun of me when I go to cali and visit and ask for a pop.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I tend to say "soda." It's something I picked up after living away from the region. But around here (Chicago) it's pop. There was actually this big war when I was in college over it to the point where the University banned the use of both words unless they were used together, lol (as in "soda pop") because people were vandalizing each other's signs that said one or the other. It was dumb but it was a small town with little to do, lol.
    We also say dinner around here (my dad used to use supper when I was a kid but the words were interchangeable).
    One that I found interesting was we're the only area that uses the term "kiddie corner" to describe something diagonally across the street. Every where else it's "caddie corner".
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:48 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Love it Not Panicking! wow!!Look at all those cokes! lol I love coke. It's all i drink. (although I love an occasional RC cola) wonder if they still make that.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 11:48 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• soda, heres one couch or sofa, sofa here!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:49 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I say SODA! I always think Pop sounds ignorant. (No offense!) Dh calls it pop and it drives me nuts--everyone around here does, actually. I grew up in Southern California and then moved to Upstate New York before going anywhere where soda was called pop. I was very confused when we moved to Michigan! LOL
    purplemoosemom

Answer by purplemoosemom at 11:50 AM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Yeah my mom razzes my son when he visits about saying "soda" when it's actually pop. They live in NW indiana; close to chicago. Kiddie corner...i remember that!
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 11:51 AM on Dec. 31, 2009