Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moving. Changing elementary schools

Do I contact the new school first, or withdraw from the old school first?
What do I need to take with me?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Dec. 31, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Answers (6)
  • I always contact the new school to get information, and visit the school if possible. Take your child's birth certificate and immunization record, and possibly proof of your new address. Let your old school know you are leaving, and give your child a chance to say goodbye if possible. The new school will have you fill out paperwork, and will include a form to transfer records from your old school to your knew school

    Good luck, and have a safe, smooth move.

    Answer by ohwrite at 12:11 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

  • Ask the schools...

    Answer by rkoloms at 12:33 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

  • "Ask the schools... "
    I would but no one is back from the holiday break yet.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

  • I went to the school and signed my son up had to bring a bill or something showing where we lived and a form of ID. I never give them immuniztion records they don't need them and our children are protected with the Hipaa laws out there. They will send off for the school records from the previous school.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

  • Most schools will be back either Monday or Tuesday. You'll have to wait until then to contact both the schools.

    Make sure you have proof of residency and ID as well as the ability to provide vax records.

    Good luck.

    Cafe Jenn
    Cafe Jenn

    Answer by Cafe Jenn at 12:44 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

  • we are military so we couldn't contact the new school since we had no idea where we were gonna live and what school our DD would be going too. So we took her out of her school, got copies of everything and when we finally move and found a school, we gave them the paper work and then they contacted the old school if they need anything else. Good luck.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on Jan. 3, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.