Anyone have kids who developed late?

Just curious about anyone who has kids who were late to sit, crawl, or walk...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• are you implying kids who are late aren't smart?
    Anonymous

• Yep, my son was a preemie and was behind. He didn't start to walk until he was about 15-16 months. He is 4 now and is right where he should be if not more so. All babies progress at different rates, don't stress over it.
    And don't mind the childish anon posts.
    LuvMyBoyzz

Answer by LuvMyBoyzz at 12:27 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• My son wasn't a preemie...he's over 6 months and still won't sit alone...I don't know how to encourage him, I've tried the boppy but he falls over immediately and gets soo frustrated :-\
    Anonymous

• Is his head too large for his body right now? Or does he have a long torso? These are things that may be a speed bump.
    LuvMyBoyzz

Answer by LuvMyBoyzz at 12:34 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• yes both my kids are special needs kids and both were late for crawling and walking and one was late talking
    mom2ryneandsam

Answer by mom2ryneandsam at 12:41 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Actually his head is on the large side, he was tested and he's normal, just has a big head lol. his head is like off the charts I think, again doctors said he's totally fine..he does have a long torso now that I think about it...he kinda slouches when I try to sit him upright...and he arches his back a lot so he won't even try....is there anything I can do to help him given the fact he has a large head and his torso is kinda long?
    Anonymous

• Anon :23, that was incredibly rude, your an ass, and I hope THAT doesn't rub off on your children.

As far as the question, just as luvmyboyzz said, every baby progresses at a different rate, and you shouldn't be worried about it. When you go in for his next check up I would bring it up to the pediatrician and see what he says. He can give you some great information on what you should/shouldn't do as far as encouraging your baby to sit up, crawl, walk, etc.

Good luck and don't stress!
    Anonymous

• We LOVED the bumbo chair for my DD, look on craigslist, people are selling them all the time for super cheap. They help hold them in the right position, a lot better that the boppy pillow. Sorry I can't help more, LOL
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 12:46 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• His muscles will get stronger, it will be tough but when he falls over, let him try to sit up on his own. He will fuss and you will want to help, but let him struggle a bit. My son had a cone head and his head was large to boot, and abnormally long in the torso, he never really crawled on all fours, he did the army crawl for a time because he couldn't hold up his middle. Don't worry, he will come around, and be strong. Sometimes I think my son is way stronger than a kid should be LOL
    LuvMyBoyzz

Answer by LuvMyBoyzz at 12:48 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• My first wasn't really "developmentally" late... he was just always at the very edge of "normal". He started sitting up between 7 and 8 months. Didn't crawl until 11 months and walked at 13. It seemed I was always trying to encourage him to do something.

Good news is, your babe WILL sit up before he reaches toddlerhood, promise! Some kids just take longer than others. What I found with my first is that he was just very cautious. Wanted to be sure he was doing everything right before he did it. He's a very bright 4 year old, he's just very shy/cautious and not extremely athletically inclined.

Don't worry about it too much, he'll get the hang of it with time.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:57 PM on Dec. 31, 2009