Sippy cups

My 9 month old wants nothing to do with sippy cups or baby juice....anyone else have a difficult time, what kind did you try that worked?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We got my DD some that were similar to bottles, shape and had more of a nipple, then slowly transitioned her. We got them cheap at walmart..

And as far as juice, that is very suprising as most babies love juice. If he doesnt want it, don't force him, will he drink water?
    Anonymous

• Haven't tried water, i didn't know how much is ok to give him, I was told not to give him too much? I don't know though, he's my first baby
    Anonymous

• We started my DD on water at about 9 months, we would give her about 6 oz a day, split up at different times, usually 3 oz twice a day. She took to water right away, but I know a lot of babies don't. If he will only take milk out of the sippy cup, just do that for a while, there is nothing wrong with him only having milk, especially at this age. Once he hits 12 months, you'll really want to make sure he's drinking at least some water, though.
    Anonymous

• Try a regular cup. Be happy he doesn't want juice! It's a lot of sugar. Water is just for fun at that age he won't over drink. Just feed him breastmilk/formula first.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:28 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Juice is unnecessary. We introduced a sippy cup with water at around nine or ten months; by the time my daughter self-weaned at 23 months, she was quite used to drinking water throughout the day.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:30 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• He won't even drink his formula from the sippy cup though, I'm going to try water though. I don't want to sound like I'm forcing him, I'm not...he's just kinda slow to reach milestones like sitting alone, doc says he's normal though but I'm worried
    Anonymous

• water in the bottle and a nice tasty drink in his cup. you stand your ground and they will comply..its a curve for learning for both... however hes only nine months so i personally wouldnt bother about stressing too much until hes over two and still in bottles. their teeth will not fall out and they dont compare themselves to textbook timing...take the docs advise...its not like the kids 20? relax.
    angelmomma2

Answer by angelmomma2 at 12:54 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Again... sippy isn't a big deal. My first didn't actually drink from them until 11 months. My 9 month old just plays with and chews on them.

Offer with water and he'll figure it out eventually.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:59 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• That juice that WIC gives you is a freakin joke. I kept all of it and had like 200 bottles. I gave them to my friends with older children. I keep a few in my car just as emergencies in case we break down or something but I rarely give my kids juice. Maybe after a shot at the doctor or something.

Anyways, I would not be concerned one bit. Offer her water, she might like that better. You should be thankful she doesnt like juice, some kids are on it like crack. Also, try the transitional cups with a soft spout, but discontinue using them once she masters the hard spout sippy cups. The soft spout ones are like bottles, they should only be used to transition and then get rid of them. Toddlers need to develop different muscles in their tongue and lips to be able to speak and the hard spout sippy cups develop the finer muscles in the lips to help with making different difficult sounds especially the "sh" and "m" sounds.
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 1:01 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• BTW, sorry I assumed that your child was a girl, I do that a lot. Sorry!
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 1:02 PM on Dec. 31, 2009