2 questions about how my child is developing?

I have a 20 month old...how can I get her to start talking...she doesn't say much except "no" and also is there any good potty training tips? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Read to her a lot and prompt her to label he tanimals, pictures, etc.in the stories. You can have her labeling things anywhere you go...ask her to pick up an apple at the grocery store and say, "Can I please have an apple? Thank you! What is this? Apple. Can you say it? Apple." Label the fruits, veggies in a conversational sort of way.That's just one example. Some children speak later than others. My son was later than his sisters but once he started he took off....I called him my little perfectionist...didnt' want to start until he could hold a conversation, lol. And for potty training...I would just show her the potty and explain what it is for...model it. I had most success when I had the kids either bare bottomed or in undies only at home when we were really working on making it to the potty. Less they have to mess with to go and I feel they feel the sensations of having to go more.
    campeno

Answer by campeno at 12:52 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• If no is her only word at 2, I would call early intervention for an evaluation - it can't hurt!

Answer by missanc at 1:11 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I agree with a PP. Read to her. Point out the names of animals, books, people, etc. Keep using words around her and ask her to repeat them. She may not right away, but after one or two times she'll want to mimick them. Encourage her by giving her praise for the words she does try to say, or the words she does infact say. She'll appriciate being recognized for trying and getting it right.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:19 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• AT 19 Month my son really had mostly 1/2 words and I guess I didn't know to consider them actual words unless they were full words... when people asked I would say that he was able to say 3 or 4 words.. when really it was more like 50. then he went throw a verbal growth spurt and started full words and 2-3 word sentances and within the month was tlaking in 4-5 word sentances. I also had to stop picking him up all the time and giving him what he wants when he pointed or grunted.. I would make him "work for it" a little more.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:25 PM on Dec. 31, 2009