Would it be a waste of time or counterproductive to start potty training before moving?

I have 28 month old boy/girl twins, and I had planned to start serious potty training with my daughter over the holiday weekend (planning to start working with my son after my daughter gets the hang of it). However, we will likely be moving in the next 6 to 8 weeks.

Given the potential disruptions caused by moving, would you advise me to start potty training now as planned or wait until after the move?

TweenAndTwinMom

Asked by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:34 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it'd be best to wait until your settled in your new place.

I wondered the same thing before We moved in September..I chose to wait until We'd been settled in Our new house for about a month and a half and I'm sure glad I did! My Son (currently almost 31 months old) is fully potty trained and it only took four days.

Good luck and happy moving!
    ajtherad

Answer by ajtherad at 1:01 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Wait until they are settled in their new place. You can expect regression when there is an upsetting event. And regression is difficult and frustrating for both parent and child.

Answer by Bmat at 12:42 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• yep wait, moving is stressful to all. i wud wait if its up to you but if they want to then go ahead...its a long road anyhow.
    angelmomma2

Answer by angelmomma2 at 12:46 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• After the move. The move itself can throw them right back into thinking they need diapers. Wait until after the move and you're settled in, so you're not throwing them back into diapers.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:08 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• After the move.. My mom potty trained my brother and then they moved.. and he lost all his potty-training and started wetting the bed and having accidents after being dry for 3 months ... and was really disappointed in himself and felt bad about it.. poor guy!

So you could move and they'd lose their training and be upset with themselves. Aww. So just wait til they are settled in their new environment.. It took my brother a few months to get re-potty-trained.
    Anonymous

• P.S. I don't think it would've taken as long to potty train him if she had waited til after the move. I potty trained in 2 days (the "take away the diapers" method) and never had another accident until my Grandfather died. Then I had accidents for a couple weeks and then never again. Any big adjustment/change can upset kids abilities and they often regress.
    Anonymous

• I would wait. Change doesn't set well with most toddlers.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 1:36 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Thanks to all of you. I had been thinking I should probably wait, but it's good to hear other moms agree.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:11 PM on Dec. 31, 2009