Got a present from the ex for my son... I don't know if I should give it to him and say it was from someone who was thinking about him (not tell him exactly who it was from) or send it back. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Relationships

• Is this his bio father? How old is your son? Hass the ex ever been a part of his life?
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 12:49 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Why wouldn't you give it to him and tell him who it's from? Does he not see his dad? Or well...is this his dad? Or is it someone you dated for a while and they were close? Personally, the only way I would give my kids a present is if their dad sent it, and only b/c he hasn't been around in any capacity in 5 yrs, and it would only confuse them. I think you have to decide what is best for your son in this instance.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:49 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• You mean the father of your child? Give it to his son. We need more info.
    Anonymous

• My son is 6... this is not his dad... and we were together for almost 3 years off and on. It ended bad.

OP
    Anonymous

• I take it the X is not the boys father? If not then how long did the man know your son? I mean if he was a round for a good while he may just have become really attached to your son and want to give him a gift. How old is your son BTW? I dunno it seems odd not knowing the whole story...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:50 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• ah okay...could he just be trying to get to you through your son? I would consider sending it back... how id your son feel about him? Does he even actively remember him?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:52 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Not knowing if there are more details, it's hard to answer this, but at face value. Why would you deprive your child? Let him have the gift, and depending on how old your child is, tell them who it is from. Someday your child may find out about efforts on your ex's part....even if they are feeble, I can't tell from this post.....and when they find out that you hid things, or kept them from knowing about them, they may resent you.

I don't know what's going on with your ex, and I have one too, but be careful how you tread here, it can backfire in the long run.

If there is a lot more to this story, it's hard to answer. Good luck.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:52 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Your son is 6yo and he was in your sons life for half of his life (i know off and on) i would tell him who it was from if they were close it also is along has it been sense you broke up with each other also plays in the picture if wasnt that long ago i would but that me its still up to you
    Anonymous

• Since he was in your sons life off and on for three years, I wouldn't give the child the gift. Especially since it ended badly. Don't encourage this guy to come back into your sons life. I would just send the gift back.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:07 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Accepting the gift may open the door for this guy to start contacting you again. kind of and okay lets see each other again and he may take that as far as okay lets start over.
    Anonymous