Sleeping on stomach at 9 weeks?

I am usually a side sleeper but when I'm pregnant, I find myself waking up on my stomach and here lately I've been doing it again. Of course the further along I get I can't physically do that comfortably but it got me to thinking....is stomach sleeping okay this early?

My thought is that if my body thought it was a problem then my brain would tell me to turn over while I'm sleeping, I don't know. Of course I'm going to ask when I get to the doctor but that isn't for about a week and a half.

all4mymarine

Asked by all4mymarine at 12:53 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it's fine sleep on your stomach till you cant anymore and dont belive the roomer about not sleeping on your back either sleep how ever your comfortable!
    Anonymous

• I slept on my stomach until I couldn't anymore. It will become uncomfortable in the next couple of months-problem solved :0). Right now your baby is still protected by your pelvis and the uterus is a great shock absorber anyway.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:56 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I'm a tummy sleeper and always sleep that way until I can't comfortably do it anymore. It's not going to hurt your baby, he/she is well protected!

Answer by missanc at 1:20 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Im 10 wks, and ive been sleeping on my belly too. i dont think ne thing is wrong with it til u physically cant ne more, or until it gets uncomfortable.
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 2:57 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Why wouldnt you sleep on your belly at 9 weeks?
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:09 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I am a belly sleeper and even when my belly was to big to sleep directly on I always slept on half of it at least. My doctor told me that if I was comfortable then the baby would be fine.
    lagesse4

Answer by lagesse4 at 3:10 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I slept on my stomach til I absolutely couldn't anymore, then I propped one hip with my body pillow and laid on my stomach but tipped forward slightly on my stomach. I had a friend who slept on her stomach yet at 30 weeks - it just wasn't uncomfortable for her (she was very small, baby stayed towards her back).
    Anonymous

• Well I guess now that I think about it, it's kind of a stupid question but like I said, I don't usually sleep on my stomach, I just notice I do it more when I'm pregnant. I've had so many losses, I just don't want to do anything that might hurt anything....so I think it would be a valid concern/question.

Anyway, I do have a body pillow and I sleep with my leg propped up on it lying more on my stomach and I did that throughout my last pregnancy and it was comfortable and fine. I'll just continue sleeping whatever way is comfortable...I'm sure there will come a point when I won't be able to even roll over on my belly!

Thanks for all the helpful answers :)
    all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 6:25 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• i read in my pregnancy book, and heard from my midwife, that by the time it would be bad for you or your baby to be on your stomach, it would be so uncomfortable that you wouldn't do it. i'm 15 weeks and i still lie on my stomach from time to time. =)
    Anonymous

• Mama, i slept on my stomach until i was 7-7.5 months along. My doc said if its comfprtable do it. If you are making the baby uncomfortable it will let you know..lol...And my son never seemed to mind. It finally just got too uncomfortable to do.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 9:41 PM on Dec. 31, 2009