For those of you who were homeschooled as a child...

Did you think it was beneficial or detrimental?
Would you/Do you homeschool your children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• I was homeschooled until the fifth grade. I didn't lack in social skills because we made friends at church and went to church activities often that obviously had other children. I did learn more and faster then I would have in school which honestly annoyed me until I graduated highschool that they had to take such a slow pace. The only down side was that the area I lived in children weren't allowed outside during school hours so even though I only did school for about four hours a day I still had to stay inside and entertain myself until two thirty when the other children were getting home from school. If there was no appropriate school in my area I would home school my children. The only reason I don't plan on homeschooling them in the first place is because my husband is dead set against home schooling being the primary schooling plan for our kids.
    Anonymous

• My brother in law was home schooled for part of school. When he went to high school, he was SO far behind socially. He thinks that he is one of the adults and is 'above' the other kids. He is so socially inept - and he is 20 now.
    We will not home school. We feel like the kids need that time away from us as we do them - and need to develop social skills and conflict resolution.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 1:42 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I was home schooled and I want to home school my kids. I have one boy who is two. My husband wants to as well. I graduated high school a year early, and did community college for a year. Then I transferred to the local state college, and finished early there. I had lots of friends at church and in the neighborhood. I learned how to do a lot of house things, too, since it took 4 hours to do high school work. My dad is a contractor, and I can put down tile, wood flooring, install carpet, and do very basic plumbing and electrical work. I am very close to my dad. He continued to home school me when my mom died when I was 14. I was an only child, too, so saying that home schooled kids can't be socialized is wrong.
    Anonymous

• My brother and I were homeschooled for two years. When we went back to PS, we were so far ahead of the other students. My daughter is homeschooled and has no problems socializing with other children or adults and is also very advanced.

Trasee

Answer by Trasee at 1:55 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I know a lot of people who were, and there are some nutjobs and some really cool people. Same for PS.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:06 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• DH was home schooled for a few years. His mom was his tutor. He hated it. She wasn't qualified to teach him. She never went to college and had 6 other kids to take care of who were in regular school. He was pulled out of school and home schooled as punishment for being an out-of-control teenager.

DH wants me to home school our kids. I used to teach at a college. There are home school co-ops in our area that do regular group activities with the kids. It's apples and oranges. Every home school situation is different.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:19 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I was home schooled and loved it. I had a chance to learn so many things a public school will never touch on. We had so many field trips where we could practice and see what we were learning. We were part of a homeschooling circle and there were tutors to help with subjects we needed extra help in.   I was never bored and loved my school day was only 3 hours and could be done at any point in the day.  Being a self starter was a huge advantage in college. 

My kids are in a private school we considered homeschooling but this school is wonderful and the kids really liked it.  If we lived somewhere with bad schools we would home school and not think twice about it. 

Anonymous

• It depends on the person doing the homeschooling. A child can benefit from a parent who not only teaches well but also make sure to put an emphasis on the child social development by participating in sports, church or home school group events. It can be detrimental when the parent teaching ignores or misses signs of delays or learning disabilities leaving the child to struggle later or by causing there child to become a 'homebody' and not allow there social skills to grow. A good home school parents stays aware of there childs needs both socially as well as educationally and keeps themselves well educated also.
    Anonymous

• I was not homeschooled but im just starting to homeschool my 2nd grade daughter for various reasons and im super excited about it! There are SO many fun and educational opprotunities out there for homeschool children, so many support groups, field trips, curriculums ect. If done right, a homeschooled child has the advantage over a public school child and can FAR exceed the expectations the state may impose on them in the school system.

Did you know a lot of the national spelling bee winners have been homeschooled kids? I know for sure the last winner was...and many of them go on to college and get excellent degrees and go on to challenging careers!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 9:49 AM on Jan. 1, 2010