what do you do with stuff that gets broken

with items such as say a baby swing or batteries? i find some items hard to throw away that can't be recycled but don't seem right to know in a regular trash. i have to have other throw it out for me. wow do i have ocd or what? so would you just put the swing out by the curb with the trash?

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 1:19 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Home & Garden

• If it's something someone else might be able to fix I set it out at the end of the driveway until trash day with a sign saying free. If it's still there it goes in the trash.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:31 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I have no problem throwing things away that either is are broke or I do not want them anymore.

Answer by louise2 at 1:22 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Throw it away. You don't need a closet full of junk.
    Anonymous

• There is a network called Freecycle.org that runs in every state. Check it out. You can post it via mass email then if someone wants it they will pick it up from you. I have gotten rid of all my old baby stuff, whether working or not. All of it has to be free, and the goal is to keep stuff out of the landfill. Also, you can post it on Craigslist in the free section.....
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 1:57 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I agree with Jenree33. don't save it if you are not going to use it. But if it can be fixed. post it on some site where someone who is wanting to fix it can come get it. I use craigslist "free stuff" and put it on as a "curb alert" so there is no need to have anyone come to the door.
    mom2alan

Answer by mom2alan at 2:32 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• oh, and I think there is a specific way to dispose of batteries, but not sure what it is. Mine are all rechargable.
    mom2alan

Answer by mom2alan at 2:34 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• If it's easily fixable, for cheap, we fix. If it's totally done for, it goes in the regular trash. If it's fixable but we have no use for it anymore we give it to someone who wants to fix it & keep it.
    Anonymous

• First of all, that is not OCD. Learn what OCD is before you go diagnosing yourself with it.
    Not being able to throw things out when they should be is Hoarding. Not OCD.
    Second of all, you should never throw batteries in the trash. Take them to proper recycling facilities to be recycled. Batteries are horrid for the earth and are not easily degraded.

As for the swings you should just set them by the curb with your trash. If they're truely broken then they shouldn't be kept. Just grow a pair and throw them out.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:52 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Straight to the curb for the garbage collectors. I cannot deal with broken things taking up space in my house.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 11:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2010

• We have second hand stores all around us that we give old stuff too that still works well. But we do accumulate many old things, (TV,s, computer screens, hard drives, sterio's , etc.) that can't go out in the regular trash. We then have two options, one is to drive to the local dump and pay fees for bringing the stuff there, or we rent a dumpster and put it all in there. You get charged by weight on the dumpsters.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 9:08 AM on Jan. 3, 2010