All of a sudden, my daughter has become really clingy, she was always very independent, and now she's afraid of everything even when it comes to bath time, she freaks out. is this normal?

She's 3 days shy of being 16 months.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Perfectly normal. Don't force her to do anything, get into the tub with her. Don't force strangers on her. She will outgrow this stage.
    Anonymous

• I guess so except my daughter is 2. my daughter used to love taking a bath now she freaks out every time she gets in the tub. my husband has to make the shower spout (it has a hose) talk and stuff and make her laugh before she calms down
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 1:30 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Most toddlers hit this phase at some point to some degree. About this age kids are developing a clearer sense of self. They are recognizing their role in a bigger pond. ;) Separation anxiety kicks in as does seemingly irrational fears of things they were formerly quite ok with. The most important thing to helping her OUT of this phase is to offer her plenty of reassurance and comfort. Don't push her to do things that terrify her. Yes, she needs to take a bath, but you find work with her to find a way to make that less scary. Is it a fear of getting water in her eyes? A fear of being in the water? When she's clingy, reassure her. When she ventures out on that limb at all, praise her wildly. She'll get through this as long as she feels safe and secure - and you do that by offering her the security and comfort she's looking for. Kwim?
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:44 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• my son did that for baths around 18 months I think. I didn't push it, some people get in with them, make it fuin like give them shoes to wear or swimsuit and make it more like a beach day. etc..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:44 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Perfectly normal at this age. For my daughter, the bath wasn't so bad...it was the water over her head that she hated which turned into a fear of getting in the tub at all. I invested in some new tub toys, some bath paint and got in with her. I washed my hair the way I would wash her hair, etc. (dumping water over my head...and letting her dump water over my head). It didn't last too long. You can also roll up a wash cloth and put it on her forehead to catch the water that falls into her face so she doesn't get it in her eyes. (Or have her lay down on the counter with her head in the sink and wash hair that way (of course...my daughter would have none of it).
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:03 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Oh - bubbles are good too. Johnson and Johnson makes a bubble and baby wash now that is pretty good.
    ANGIE409