Would you or do you read (fictional)books dealing in opposite beliefs?

If you are pagan, atheist, buddhist, Jewish, etc....would you read a book based on a Christian character, dealing only with christian beliefs?
If you are christian, would you read a book that deals with an atheist character and all that being atheist entails?
What about a book about satanism? Or witchcraft, or magic?

Remember these books are fictional....
If no, why not?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 1:33 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yep. One of my favorite Sherlock Holmes stories is about the early LDS. I'll admit, though, if it's over the top preachy it grates. I choked my way through the first Left Behind book because I worked with so many people who recommended it. Bad writing mixed with bad preaching.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:39 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• yes i do..as NotPanicking said, if its overly preaching i wont finish reading it.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 1:43 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Yes... no problem there... I love reading.. if it catches my attention I will read it regardless if it's religious base or not...if it looses my attention due to it's material/story... then it is put aside...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:56 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I read all the Harry Potter books.

Fiction is fiction
    Anonymous

• I do. Why? Well, if it's a good story, it's a good story. :) I have found, sometimes, that I need to backtrack and do some research through nonfiction after reading certain fiction. (Off the top of my head I can't give you a specific title, though.) I don't like the idea that my impressions of a certain organization or belief system could be based on someone's fiction --- and be total fiction. You know what I mean? I think it's worth following up with fact if the content of my fiction is something new to me.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:59 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I have been on both sides of the spectrum(so to speak)and have read books with various characters who believed various things.

If the plot is interesting enough then Ill read it.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:04 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• i wouldnt. i try not to involve myself with anything pagan, satanism, witchcraft, it goes against everything that I believe.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 2:13 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I am a Christian and I LOVE to read.
    I especially love the books Nora Roberts writes that have to do with magic. I read Harry Potter, vampire books, werewolf books, romance novels that have sex in them.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 2:18 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I'm open to reading anything that is a good story! It could have any premise, or revolve around any set of beliefs. Even if it were a non fictional book, I'd still read it. I think the more we learn, the better off we are.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:21 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• " I'm wary of "Bad company [which] corrupts good character"

Does this mean you do not associate, at all, with people of different beliefs?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:27 PM on Dec. 31, 2009