What would you do/say?

Normally we only attend Sunday service at our church, however my husband has had some extra time off of work for the holidays and we decided to go last night for the Wednesday night service too. My son and daughter go to the nursery and it's usually the same set of women on Sundays. Last night there were different women though. I knew two of the four, so I still felt comfortable leaving the kids. When I picked them up afterwards one of the women told me that my son had gotten into some trouble and she said he was "just plain mean". I didn't know what to say. What a horrible thing to say about someone's toddler! What would you have done/said?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would have told here that if she couldn't handle a toddler, maybe she shouldn't volunteer to work in the nursery. How do you know that it wasn't her grandson taking the toys? I don't like people who are insulting just because they can be.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 3:22 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Was she serious? My son is a toddler and he's still learning how to act around other people. Are you sure he wasn't just playing? How old is your son?
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 1:44 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Ask what he did, specifically. Then say, "I apologize. He is still a little boy and sometimes needs to be reminded how to be good."
    mom2alan

Answer by mom2alan at 1:50 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Her grandson was also in the nursery. Appariently my son was bullying him and taking his toys. So of course I agree that he was misbehaving, but I don't agree that he was being "mean". He was just being a toddler. She said she put him in time-out, which is fine, we use time-out as well. I just didn't like the way she said it, I guess. I told me husband and he said I should've been more direct with her about the way she said it. I just said that we didn't normally come at that time and it might have thrown him off schedule with is being late and we're normally home getting ready for bed at that time.
    Anonymous

• I think you handeled it well, then. My SIL watches my son and in her eyes, all issues between my son and her daughter (three months older) are brought on by my son. This lady only saw her grandson's side. For all you know, he was taking all the "cool" toys and was unwilling to share, who knows? I have found that it is sometimes easier to let it go if it is not going to be a person my son has to deal with regularly. If you have to deal with this lady again, then deal with her tone of voice if it comes up again.
    mom2alan

Answer by mom2alan at 2:17 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I would have not said anything and accepted that my child is not perfect and someone noticed. My son is usually good but on occasion can be a bully and mean. Others pointing it out is not a big deal and we are working on it. Not all toddlers are mean some can be.
    Anonymous

• If he was being mean, then he was being mean. I wouldn't sugar coat how the child was acting to the mother either.
    Are you telling me that if a child you were watching was being mean, that you wouldn't tell the mother he was being mean? Would you sugar coat it or even lie to the mother about how he was acting? It's not horrible if it's the truth. If your child was being mean, then someone should tell you that he's being mean. It's that simple.

I would want to know exactly how my child was acting while in the care of someone else.
    Is it that she said that, or that she said it when nobody else has told you that before? Just ask how he was acting in order for her to consider him "Mean". Inquire with the women how your son was behaving.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:38 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I'm saying I don't think any toddler is mean. Mean is different than disobediant.
    Anonymous