'mild' autism and melt downs...

How do you react? I know I get to frustrated and make things worse sometimes but how can I be better about helping him to calm down. Right now our Psy. has told us to carry him to his room and let his stay there where it is safe until he is calm and then go in a reassure him. Should I be doing more? This is all new to me(diagnosed last month with aspergers) and I am very frustrated. I just don't know how to deal with his anxious melt downs. I just want the melt downs to STOP! I can't deal with it. Maybe I just don't know how.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Hugs!!! My oldest is 13 and he has Aspergers. He has meltdowns. It can be VERY frustrating and draining to deal with. What I have learned is when he is out of control and in 'meltdown mode' it is best to send him to his room and let him alone to cool down. I have learned that if I try to talk to him while he is out of control it makes things worse and then we both get upset. I let him alone, and then when he is calm and rational again I sit him down and we talk about what happened. As for stopping meltdowns- I don't know if it will be possible to stop them completely BUT sometimes I can tell when one is coming on and step in and make changes to prevent it from happening (like his brother distracting and bothering him--- I take brother out of the room and all is fine). If you need someone to talk to or to listen, you can pm me.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:01 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Before diangosing him with Aspergers did the dr rule out food sensitivities by doing a RAST test food panel for IgG? I ask because we were told that our son was possibly aspergers. We had him tested for food sensitivities because of digestive problems. He is highly sensitive (but not allergic) to wheat, soy, cow's milk & eggs. We've removed all these from his diet. He is now a different child. No more meltdowns, anxiety attacks, outbursts. He is now excelling in school. The transformation is just amazing. We can tell within a 1/2 hr if he's eaten something that he's not supposed to.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:14 AM on Jan. 1, 2010