What is a simple way to explain asperger's to my family/friends with out confusing them.

I mean how do I explain it. I don't know a whole ton myself. I'm still learning. I tried to tell my mom and she was so confused. I tried to tell her it's ont he spectrum but not really like autism and then had to go into detail about what my DS does that made the psychologist diagnose him a such. It took forever. Is ther a batter way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Anonymous

• My son is in the process of being diagnosed with Asperger's. I looked online and found a YouTube video of a teenager with it. He explained it best. You have your people with Autism on the left and your "normal" people on the right. In the middle is Asperger's. They have traits of an Autistic person and they have traits of a "normal" person. Basically 50% Autistic, 50% "Normal". I will see if I can find the video again.

Anonymous

• I don't think I know enough to help you, but you may be able to find stuff on the internet. Though I would not advise Wiki articles for most stuff, this might be a good use of them as Wiki articles are submitted by average people and my be in a language that is more easy to understand.

My understanding of Asperger's is that like autism, the child does not connect with the world around him like most people. On the extreme end are those who can't make eye contact, touch people, or do much interacting at all. The Asperger's end is mostly that they seem distant from other people and don't ineract with peers and other people the way that most children his age would do.
    Anonymous

• It IS really like autism. Some people even think there isn't a separate diagnosis for asperger's and that it just really is high functioning autism. So it depends on who you talk to.
    Anonymous

• Answered at 12:29 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 by: Anonymous
    It IS really like autism. Some people even think there isn't a separate diagnosis for asperger's and that it just really is high functioning autism. So it depends on who you talk to.

It is now what is known as the Autism spectrum. So yes, Asperger's is a form of autism.
    Anonymous

• from my understanding and I could be off on this but I think aspergers is a mild form of autism that doesn't necessarily have the serious quirks of autism....so tell them that it a highly functioning form of atutism. And if anyone gives you grief also let them know that most people that have autism also have higher than normal IQs.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:45 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• This link is a great resource for grandparents http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/grandparents.html

Aspergers is a high functioning form of autism, My son is 12 and i have been dealing with this for 10 years. He has anxiety and sensory disorders, does not understand social behaviors such as body language and facial expression, tone of voice. With therapy we have brought him to a point where he now can understand many facial expressions and tone of voice, he is still working on body language. I was told he would never play team sports and he proved them wrong. Sensory wise he does not like to be touched by people outside family, is sensitive to smell , taste, temp, light, and touch. He also has fixations with subjects, has a high IQ and at times will pace, rock, or hit himself. He made the choice to try prozac which has made his life much easier along with behavioral therapy. PM me if you have questions :)
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:50 AM on Jan. 1, 2010