What would you choose to do?

I am going to need surgery soon. The problem, medically is very common, but it will most likely require three days or so in the hospital from what I understand. It is a major surgery. According to what I have found out, the surgery (which may need redone again at some point) is only as "good" as the surgeon who is doing it. (Seems like common sense, but what I mean is, that I can go longer between surgeries if I have a better dr.) I have found a great doc. which I am supposed to see in two weeks, but his hospital, which is world renowned, is two hours away. We have several local hospitals that are good too, but no dr.s who have been recommended to me. I have a DH and two kids between 10 and 15, so traveling for them for those few days might be an issue. And I will want people around me. Which would you pick? Better dr, but far, or closer to home and unknown?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Dec. 31, 2009 in Health

• You are dealing with your health here, so I would go for the best Dr. and let them get inconvinience.

Answer by older at 2:24 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• I'd go with the best doctor even if it means travelling. Your husband could get a hotel room for a few days if necessary, and the kids could either come too or they could stay with friends or relatives. GL!

Anonymous

• I would choose the doctor who has done some many of these operations that s/he could do it blind folded with no hands. If it meant traveling to another state then I'd travel.

If you take longer to recover or have to have a repeat surgery in 2 years vs 5 years, that longer recovery will be harder on your family. Your family wants you to be well. They are happy to drive the distance.

You know what you would chose if it were your Dh or your child. They will always chose the same for you. I know as a mom you are used to always putting them first and yourself last, bc that's what moms do. It's not selfish to chose the far away doctor.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:30 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Best doctor, my son was born very early, and had to be at a hospital that was a commute daily, but it was the better choice, with good doctors, Inconvience is sometimes bettter.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 2:32 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Easy choice for me. Better docs farther away. I made the closer choice myself a couple of years ago and ended up spending a total of 10 days in the hospital & having 2 surgeries, the 2nd of which was probably unnecessary, because I chose to be closer to home instead of an hour away.
    Anonymous

• I would want the best doctor I can find. Surgery is nothing to sinch on, so getting the absolute best medical care is the top choice for me. You can ask your mom, dad, a sister, a best friend to stay with you at the Hospital (or near by) while you're recovering. That way your husband and kids don't have to go back and forth soo much.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:28 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• The question you should be asking yourself is, "Do I want to be in this position again in only a few years?" If you answered no to that, then you NEED to go and see the better doctor. If you are religious and have friends from church, I bet they would help you and your family out a lot. Otherwise, do you have friends that would be willing to help. Friends are the best thing in the world when it comes to situations like this. Heck, if you are coming to Omaha, let me know and WE'LL help you out.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 3:56 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Thanks ladies, the hospital in question is Cleveland Clinic in Ohio and we are in Youngstown, Ohio. The doctor is the vice chair of the department. And according to my sister who is the med. ass. in my Dr.'s office, my dr. knows this doctor personally and has sent many patients to see him. She agrees that I should see that doctor and as long as he's not a complete jerk, I will most likely have him do the surgery. But, I will most likely need to have this done a second time regardless of who performs it as I am rather young to have this surgery. ( my sister calls it an old lady surgery.) Anyhow, I know I will want family around because I have never had surgery before. I was in the hosp. a lot as a child (under 5) for various things, but never a surgery. Especially the old fashioned kind where they actually have to cut you open, instead of using lasers or laproscopy. So I am very nervous to begin with.
    Anonymous

• Yup go with the better doctor. It's only a few days, your kids will survive.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:51 PM on Dec. 31, 2009

• Yeah, I would hold off on the surgery until you really need it. Good Luck
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:26 AM on Jan. 1, 2010